• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PDF820SSJ0SS GE dishwasher won’t start but has power

bones251

Premium Member
Model Number
PDF820SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
Model PDF820SSJ0SS
No standing water. Close door. Push start and it beeps 3 times. From my research that means it thinks the door is open. Did a control panel test from another thread for a different model in this forum and with the door closed all the lights blink - again indicating it thinks the door is open? Could use some help - dishwasher appears level. Maybe ever so slightly higher on one side but I wouldn’t think enough to make it do this. It does this from time to time but usually there’s standing water. And some combination of shutting off power, removing the standing water and cleaning the filters works. This time nothing is working.
HELP!? :) Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Check the STATUS LED on the machine control for a flash pattern, or STEADY ON/STEADY OFF LED. Make sure you keep all the connections to the control board plugged into it while viewing that STATUS LED.

GE control 2 (1).jpg

Here's the control(machine) board for your model:

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that would be perfect to do.:)

Let us know.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bones251

Premium Member
Hello! Sorry I’m late responding! Ordered the part and it came in last week. AND IT WORKED! Thank you so much!
Two things to help anyone else:
  1. To set the jumpers, the little square pieces detach. The image in the instructions can be a little deceiving-makes it looks like they slide. Thanks to another post on here for helping me with that one.
  2. The most difficult part (for me anyway) was getting the darn “tray” the controller is in back up inside the dishwasher. It’s a really tight fit. That plus short wires and the wires from the j-box being in the way made it difficult

But I got it! And it seems to work better than the other did. Starts instantly after pushing Start. Original took about 2-3 seconds.
Out of curiosity, what causes / caused the original to fail?

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @bones251, glad to hear the new control board fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Out of curiosity, what causes / caused the original to fail?
I really don't know, but these boards are very sensitive to power outages, power spikes/surges. That's why I tell all my customers to invest in a whole home surge protector.

Surges do damage by hunting for earth ground destructively via appliances. A surge connected to earth by a 'whole house' protector doesn't go hunting for earth destructive via any appliance.

My whole home surge protector is outside where the main electric meter and breaker box are located, it sends the surge directly to earth ground outside before it comes into the house.

Here's the whole home surge protector my electrician installed on my house: Stabl-Power Series 1

Find a licensed electrician in your area to install this for you.:)

Jake

bones251

Premium Member
Thanks for the info! I do have a whole home surge protector but now I’ll have to check it to make sure it’s working properly 😊
That’s good to know about the boards being sensitive too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I do have a whole home surge protector but now I’ll have to check it to make sure it’s working properly
It should be located outside your house next to your electric meter, look and see if the green lights in it are on.

Jake