• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PDS22SBPALSS GE Profile. Fridge cool, freezer warm

coolvibe

Premium Member
Model Number
PDS22SBPALSS
Brand
GE
Last week I found the freezer at 8F, fridge 38F. (Set to 0, 37) Check door rubber, the usual things and assumed maybe the door was not shut tight.
24hr later... FZ at 2F, FF 37F. Later that day... FZ - 8F, FF - 36F. Went away for the weekend and found it at FZ- 0F, FF - 37F (Perfect)… But that night...FZ slipped up to 9F.
In short... FZ running warm. Fridge always within 2 degrees,
Fridge is always running. Sounds normal.
But I will say I've not heard it run in defrost mode. Sometimes I hear water dripping... or a hunk of ice falling. (No I don't have an ice maker)… so I am used to hearing my defrost go.
But lately... I'm not hearing defrost.

Pulled everything out of the freezer and got the cover off. Ice was jammed all across the bottom of the evap. and large hunks of ice were attached to the cover, along the bottom where the air intake is.
I've attached some photos, but I already started warming things up, so you are not see as much as I had first started with.
Hit it all with a hair drier... made sure the drain was working. Dried everything and put it all back together.
Evap started getting cold as expected... and cold air was blowing form the evap fan.
Put everything back in the freezer and closed it all up.
The next day, the freezer was still at 10F... fridge seemed ok.
When I came home from work today... display show 0 - 37.

At this moment she is showing: 8, 39.
Thermistor resistances are: J1-1 15KΩ (Fridge) J1-3 30.6KΩ (Freezer), J1-4 61KΩ (Evap)
1 min later.... the values were:
Thermistor resistances are: J1-1 14.6KΩ (Fridge) J1-3 30.3KΩ (Freezer), J1-4 42KΩ (Evap)

Is the EVAP thermistor Pooched?

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_213738.jpg
    IMG_20200711_213738.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200711_213744.jpg
    IMG_20200711_213744.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200711_213753.jpg
    IMG_20200711_213753.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200711_213800.jpg
    IMG_20200711_213800.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 42

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All the thermistors will test the same way.

Put the thermistor in a glass of crushed ice and water, wait at least 5 minutes then It should read about 16.3K ohms at 32*F.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Jake

coolvibe

Premium Member
My fridge has the newer thermistor. I changed them years ago... maybe 6 years ago??
I don't want to pull things apart to test thermistors. I would rather buy new ones, test/confirm them, and then just replace.

I'm more concerned with the Evap readings I took. Fridge and freezer readings seem correct.
Did these readings makes ense?

At this moment she is showing: 8, 39.
Thermistor resistance. J1-4 61KΩ (Evap) -11F
1 min later.... the value was:
Thermistor resistance. J1-4 42KΩ (Evap) 0F

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the GE thermistor chart:

011 GE Thermistor Chart.jpeg

Yes, looks good to me per the chart.:)

Jake

coolvibe

Premium Member
I measure the heater as 31 ohms. But that doesn't mean it's coming on. Maybe the relay on the control board has failed?

For my issue... what should I start with?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, The control board controls the defrost cycle by turning the defrost heater ON when the thermistor tells it to.

Here's the control board for your model:

But the evaporator coil does not have extreme frost build-up on it, which you would expect if the defrost cycle wasn't working.

Look at these photos below and you will see.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

coolvibe

Premium Member
FWIW... I took my photos late. I had the cover to the evap off for a bit. It was all ice across the bottom (below evap) from left to right.
And the ice was stuck to the cover as well.
I went through my spare box of parts I have for this fridge. I have two control boards. 1 looks unused, so I put it in late last night.
This morning the fridge was at 1 and 37.
With this board I do notice that when I open the fridge or freezer the fans do not shut off. The latest board shuts the fans off when you open either door.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I took my photos late. I had the cover to the evap off for a bit. It was all ice across the bottom (below evap) from left to right.
And the ice was stuck to the cover as well.
Got it!

I went through my spare box of parts I have for this fridge. I have two control boards. 1 looks unused, so I put it in late last night.
This morning the fridge was at 1 and 37.
With this board I do notice that when I open the fridge or freezer the fans do not shut off. The latest board shuts the fans off when you open either door.
Glad the new control board fixed it.(y)

Jake

coolvibe

Premium Member
I'm going to pull out the fridge and get the details off of this circuit board. And note the following: 1. When I open the fridge or freezer door, if the fans are on... they don't shut off.
Not a big deal... I just know that with my latest control board the fans shut off when a door is opened. Was it decided its best to shut off the fans when a door is opened? Does the fridge/freezer stay a bit colder? Not a big a deal. 2. With this board and the settings at 0 - 37, the fridge gets pushed to -1 36 before it shuts down. When I did hear my fridge shut off earlier tonight I quickly checked the temps. -1, 35. But then it was off for a while. (My fridge had finally shut off..... and in the right way!!)
I think the board that is in the fridge now is the 2nd board this fridge has seen. This board was under warranty from Sears many years ago. Sears let me keep the original board.(Which I do have)
I think I dumped this 2nd board for the 3rd because I didn't like the way it kept running the fridge & freezer so cold.

Right now... my fridge is working, so I'm happy.
If this truly is a control board fix... I wonder what failed on board #3? With all the ice up I've seen, I wonder if the defrost relay failed??

Gonna run board #2 for a while and see how she goes. I might be tempted to put board #3 back in and see if it fails again.