• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PDT570SSF5SS GE Dishwasher - F96 Error Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahart2001

Premium Member
Model Number
PDT750SSF5SS
Brand
GE
I have a PDT750SSF5SS dishwasher that is throwing an F96 error code. Originally I was getting several error codes (I know F99 was one of them) and all of the threads on here were pointing the Flood Switch and/or Turbidity Sensor. I went ahead and replaced both the Flood Switch (thermistor) and the Turbidity Sensor with brand new genuine GE parts. Now I am getting the F96 error alone which is "No Water in Tub (turbidity based)". I have gone into the Service Mode and run the Drain Pump and Water Valve cycles (to drain it out and put a fresh load of water into the machine) so there is definitely a tub full of water. I ran the Circulation Pump and Heater cycles as well and I can hear the dishwasher parts working; no extra codes are coming up on the LCD.

For reference, I got out a multimeter after still getting this F96 code and checked the old Flood Switch and it tested at 12 ohms which I thought was curious because that is in the range that indicates good (not sure why a new one would clear the previous codes, but oh well, a win is a win).

The whole problem started with the dishes not drying. The machine runs in ordinary use, but it is not getting hotter when running in the Boost and Sanitize temperature modes. The water temperature is getting hot from the hot tap water alone.

I have checked the Turbidity Sensor wiring harness and there doesn't appear to be any damage. I guess I am down to the Inverter Board and the Pump (w/ integral hidden heater). I would have assumed that if the hidden heating element was bad it would be throwing a F97 or F99. I'm not getting any of the fault codes indicated in the Inverter and Motor Diagnostics (page 56 of the manual).

On the Heater Diagnostics (page 87 of the manual), it states to remove connector J703 and check for resistance. I did this and am not getting a reading (maybe the heating element is shot?). I went ahead thru the other steps and checked the voltage of J703 on the board and am getting 120V (looks like the Main Control Board is ok).

So 2 questions:
1. Would a faulty heating element be causing an F96 code?
2. Why wouldn't a faulty heating element be causing a code (like F97 - Absent Heat Source)?
3. Before I go dropping $150-$200 on a new pump/heater, is there anything else I should check?
4. Is there a way to check the Turbidity Sensor with a multimeter (so I can make sure the new part isn't defective)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Turbidity Sensor should be 10 ohms. So if you got no ohm reading on your meter at J703 between the Violet to White/Red wires, then its definity the hidden heater that is the culprit.

Here's the hidden heater ohm test instructions:
hiddenheater.png

Here's the variable speed pump for your model you can order:
This wash pump has the hidden heater integrated into the pump.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

ahart2001

Premium Member
Part replaced. Errors cleared out. Ran a load with no problems.

But today I ran a sanitize load and found it leaking underneath. Probably didn't tighten one of the clamps enough. Going to pull it out again and check. It is showing error codes F96 and F80, but guessing it is due to the leak.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, fix the leak, then see if you get those error codes.

Let us know.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the variable speed pump kit with the heater integrated into it fixed it.(y)

Glad to hear the leak is fixed too!

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.