• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PDT825SSJ0SS Three beeps and no start - door reporting open

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris98891

Premium Member
Model Number
PDT825SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
Hey all,
I have a 2 year old dishwasher that isn't starting. Thanks to this forum, I've tried all kinds of stuff.

This happened about 2 weeks ago, and shutting off the breaker for 5 minutes fixed it.

This time, I've tried everything. Reset the breaker, ensured demo mode wasn't on, and ran the service test with the door closed. With the door closed, it flashed like it was still open.

The service LED doesn't appear to be lit.

In this case, I had planned to replace the control board, but I'm concerned the breaker reset fixed it the first time, but not this time. Are could there be any other causes I should check before replacing the control board?

Thank you all in advance!!!

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

ran the service test with the door closed. With the door closed, it flashed like it was still open.
It sounds like your door switch is bad. Try that test again and report back.

With the dishwasher in Standby Mode (Cycle Selection Mode), press and hold the Cycle Select and Start buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
On entry into the Consumer Error Mode, the control reports the door status for 10 seconds.
--->All LEDs are solidly illuminated, if the door is detected as closed.

Here's the door switch latch assembly for your model you can order if needed:
Door Latch WD21X10490

There is a "HOW TO" video in the part link to access/replace it.

Jake

chris98891

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Ran the test again, even with the door closed, all LEDs flash.

Would it make sense that the service LED is also not illuminated if the door switch is bad?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so the STATUS LED is OFF completely? If so and your getting 120 volts to it, then yes the control board is bad.

Here's the control(machine) board for this model you can order:

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

chris98891

Premium Member
Welp - I dropped the machine board again to recheck all the connections. Lo and behold, service LED is flashing and it now works fine. I did turn the breaker off for a couple minute while I was dropping the machine board, but maybe just a loose connection that got made while I was dropping the board?

Thanks again for the help! Guess for now I'll just keep going until the issues crops up again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chris, sounds good.

Yes, let us know if it acts up again.

Jake

chris98891

Premium Member
Wehlp, it happened again. Guess I was on borrowed time. Same symptoms as before, so I'm planning on buying a new control board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Chris, how many times is the STATUS LED flashing now on the machine control board?

Jake

chris98891

Premium Member
No light at all on the control board, even after checking all connections. I guess I also need to make sure the board is getting power.

Do you know of a good way to check that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Look at the image of the control board I posted in post #4, see where its marked 120 VAC SUPPLY? That's where you put your meter probes to check to see if you have 120 volts there at the control board.

If your meter reads 120 volts there and the STATUS LED is STEADY OFF, then you'd need to order and replace the control board.

Jake

chris98891

Premium Member
Well, we came back alive briefly after this post, but we died again. I have the new control board in hand, but the new board has personality jumpers.

The old board had no jumpers at all, and the new board shows a configuration for a PDT825. Should I go with no jumpers like the old board or should i use the configuration on the sheet?

Thanks again for all the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chris,

You will need to use the jumpers configuration on the sheet that came with the new control board.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Viki87

Premium Member
Hi Chris,
I am running into a similar problem with my ge profile PDT825SSJ0SS

What was your final diagnosis and resolution? Would appreciate it if you could share with us.

Hi Jake,
Hi again! Almost a year back, the valuable resources here and your expert tips helped me replace the control board on my dishwasher and everything has been working smoothly since.. until yesterday that is..

Suddenly the dishwasher won't start. Upon pressing the start button, the orange light blinks 3 times as if it would when the door is open and does not start. The door seems to close just fine and seems to be making contact crisply with the door latch. I tried holding down select_cycle and start simultaneously for 5 seconds and all lights flash with code 817.

I haven't removed any boards to check any other lights. Does it appear to you like I need a new door latch or could the problem be something else? Would appreciate your guidance immensely here

Thanks,
Vikram

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Vikram,

Yes, you will need to ohm test the door latch switch, with a multimeter, to determine if its bad.

Here's the door latch switch for your model:
WD21X10490 Latch Switch

Follow the directions here:
LatchSwitch.png

Door closed: 0 ohms.
Door open: infinite ohms.

Let us know what you find. Make sure you disconnect power to the dishwasher before ohm testing.

Jake

Viki87

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Apologies for the late reply here. I intended to reply right away, but forgot. So, just as I got ready to ohm test the door latch switch, the problem fixed itself. I am just running the dishwasher with fingers crossed since, hoping the problem doesn't resurface. :)

Thanks,
Vikram

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Vikram, since dishwashers can't fix themselves yet, you can expect this to happen again, unfortunaity.

If it started working on its own then it can't be the door switch and it has to be the machine control board, that has been the known problem child to fail.

You can order the machine control board for your model in post #4.

Jake

Viki87

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. As luck would have it, it did happen again today :( Will order and replace the main control board and hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Vikram

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Vikram, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Viki87

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I replaced the main control board today and the problem seems resolved. Thanks for your valuable inputs again! I really appreciate it!

Do you know of anyone who's had success repairing one of these control boards? Want to see if it is worth while to try to fix it and keep as spare or if I should just scrap the old board that came out.

Thanks,
Vikram

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Vikram, glad to hear the new main control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Do you know of anyone who's had success repairing one of these control boards? Want to see if it is worth while to try to fix it and keep as spare or if I should just scrap the old board that came out.
No, not as of yet. Sure you can always try.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.