• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED PEB1590DM2BB GE Profile Microwave Not Working

hginsburg

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
5
Location
Pittsburgh
Model Number
PEB1590DM2BB
Brand
GE
Age
6-10 years
I came home to a power outtage and once the power came back on, my microwave wouldn't work. The display screen is very dim (all but totally black), and if you try to start the microwave, nothing happens. I tested the fuses, capacitor, and switches. I've narrowed down that the control board needs to be replaced. Has anyone else experience this problem? I'd appreciate any opinions before I invest in a fairly costly part!

Thanks!
-Howard
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
35,559
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States

hginsburg

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
5
Location
Pittsburgh
Thanks for that insight. As I look to get this back up and running, I'm considering adding a single outlet surge protector to keep this from happening again. Any thoughts on that?
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
35,559
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
I don't have any information on surge protectors or how well they work. I usually tell my customers if the power goes out, unplug the machine until the power comes back on. I've seen this happen to refrigerators, microwaves, & ranges along with built in ovens.
 

hginsburg

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
5
Location
Pittsburgh
I wanted to close the loop on this thread so that hopefully it will be of use to someone else in the future. Today my replacement control board arrived, and that was indeed the solution to my problem. What was interesting about this updated part was that it has a ground wire. The original board did not have this.

Thanks @rickgburton for the guidance. You saved me a bunch of money!
 
Top