• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Periodic rattling sound when dishwasher is turned on

twalp

Premium Member
Model Number
GU2275XTVY0
Brand
Whirlpool
When I first turn on the dishwasher there is often a rattling sound like a pipe rapidly vibrating. If I run some hot water in the adjacent kitchen sink this rattling will diminish and sometimes even go away. This rattling sound also occurs occasionally later in the dish washing cycle. Attached is an iPhone recording of the sound.

Any suggestions about fixing this?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly your water inlet valve solenoid, take the lower access panel off and put your hand on the water inlet valve and see if that's where its going from.

If so, you will need a new water inlet valve(Video Included):
Whirlpool W10158389 Water Inlet Valve

There is a video when you click the water inlet valve part link that will show you how to access/replace it.

Jake

twalp

Premium Member
Thank you to Jake. After enduring this noise for a year the noise suddenly disappeared!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
wow, now that is very odd, sure hope that's not a sign of something worse to come, like the calm before the storm.:)

Just keep your eye on it for awhile, and if you leave your house for more 24 hours turn the water supply off to your dishwasher, or you may find a flood when you get home.

Jake

twalp

Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up. We had been trying to ignore the noise for several months before I posted my question here. By the time I got around to troubleshooting it the sound had magically disappeared. We're on a well here and the faucet screens clog up within a few months, so I wondered if perhaps a larger particle had come loose after having been lodged somewhere. Pure monkey brain thinking.

In your opinion should I go ahead and replace the part to which you refer? Can it really fail and cause a flood (like those water supply valves on toilets)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm on well water too so I know all about the clogging of the screens.:)

Have you replaced your well filter in awhile? Its best to change it every 6 months, I changed mine again last week, and my Maytag dishwasher is running great and have never had to clean the water inlet valve screen on mine as of yet.

Can it really fail and cause a flood (like those water supply valves on toilets)?
Yup, its funny you mentioned that because the fill valve in my toilet went bad and the water kept coming out and if it wasn't for the overflow tube in the toilet tank then I'd have a flood in my bathroom. I bought a new Fluidmaster 400A fill valve at Walmart for under $10 and installed it myself in my toilet tank and it works great!

That's why I just wanted you to keep your eye on your dishwasher to make sure that water inlet valve doesn't flood your kitchen. If I was you yes I'd replace the water inlet valve on your dishwasher.

When you click the link to your water inlet valve I posted above there will be a "HOW TO VIDEO" there to show you how to replace it.

Jake

twalp

Premium Member
Uh, duh, where's the "well filter"? (we may not have one. how can I tell?)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My well filter is located outside where the well is, go outside and look at the main water pipe coming out of the well, then there should be a filter after that, before the water goes into your pressure tank.

Jake