• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PFS22MBSBBB Bad fan or bad motherboard

nlutkenhaus

Premium Member
Model Number
PFS22MBSBBB
Brand
GE
Two weeks ago, my bottom freezer fridge stopped working. Neither compressor nor compressor fan worked. I replaced the stater unit for the compressor, so that started up again, but the compressor fan still does not run.

I checked at the motherboard that the voltage to the fan is lower than the expected 11.5 Volt. Currently I am running the compressor fan with an external 11.5 Volt power supply (supply voltage and steering voltage at 11.5), and everthing is runnning again, though now the fan runs continuously, so I do need to do a proper repair.

How can I find out whether the voltage supply on the motherboard is faulty, or whether the fan is about going bad, drawing too much current, and thus lowering the voltage provided by the motherboard? Has anyone the correct amperage the fan should draw when running with the external voltage?

Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you test the voltage on the motherboard between J2-3 and J2-5?

You should get 9 to 13 volts DC. Look at the diagram below.

(click to enlarge)
MB2.jpg

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order here(Video Included):
WR55X10942P Main Control Board

Jake

nlutkenhaus

Premium Member
voltages

Hi Jake,
thanks for your quick reply. The voltages measure correctly if the fan is unplugged, but the voltages are lower if the fan is plugged in. Therefore my question how I can check whether the fan is drawing more current than a properly working motherboard can supply, or whether the voltage supply on the motherboard is faulty.
Any idea what current the fan should draw?
Thanks for your help!
Norbert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've never seen that happen before, I don't know what the amperage is.

But from what you said here:
Currently I am running the compressor fan with an external 11.5 Volt power supply (supply voltage and steering voltage at 11.5)
That would indicate the motherboard is the problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now here's where it gets weird, you should be getting 9-13 volts DC at the condenser fan motor, We've have had a couple members say that they were getting 13 volts DC and they replaced the condenser fan motor, but that didn't fix it, it was the motherboard that fixed it.

So to be on the safe side I'd order both, there has been problems with these GE fans taking out the motherboard.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model you can order here(Video Included):
WR84X10055 Condenser Fan Motor

Jake