• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PFSF6PKXEBB French Door no longer cooling either fridge or freezer compartment

Demosthenes9

Premium Member
Model Number
PFSF6PKXEBB
Brand
GE
came home from a camping weekend Sunday night and found the food in my fridge at 60 degrees and food in freezer was well on the way to defrosting. Found this forum and did some poking around. Found out about the diagnostic test, so I did that. Results were R-1-c and F-1-G. based on the R-1-c, I concluded, perhaps erroneously, that I needed to replace the Refrigerator defrost sensor. i believed that to be part #WR23X10582. Based on more research, I pulled the defrost thermistor and did some continuity testing on it, both at room temp and in an icewater bath. I don't remember what it read when in the ice water, but at room temp, it reads 0.9 (MM set on 20K?) I bought one locally on Monday morning, installed it and plugged the fridge in. On start up, it appears to have run the diagnostics automatically and displayed 88 88. I ran it again and it came up the same.

great ! Fridge is fixed ! just let it run for a while and the temp would start coming down. At least, that's what i envisioned and hoped to have happen. Needless to say, it didn't. So, where I'm at now is that the fridge is plugged in and running. Nothing is cooling. The coils at the bottom rear were blown clean using a compressed air tank. The little fan between the coils and the compressor is spinning. WRT the compressor, I can hear and feel a difference between when the fridge is plugged in and unplugged. I even unplugged the fan for a sec to make sure that wasn't what I was feeling or hearing. That said, what I'm hearing is a lot quieter than what I'm used to hearing. At least I think that's the case. It very well could be a situation where I really never paid attention to how loud the compressor was, and maybe I just think that it was louder than now ?

I should add that I went ahead and called a company to come out and take a look. A younger guy showed up and gave his opinion as to what the problem was. I can't say that I'm at all confident as to his assessment. It honestly seems like he's never dealt with a model like this or something. I could very well be wrong, but can one confidently conclude that the compressor is shot without even pulling a multimeter out of the tool bag ?

Am I out of luck ? Time to buy a new fridge ? Or can this thing possibly be repaired ?

PS: For those that don't know, my "GE' fridge was apparently made for GE by Samsung

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, because if the compressor and condenser fan motor(next to the compressor) are both running and there is no cooling whatsoever, and no frost on the evaporator coil, then you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Yes, new refrigerator time.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.