PFSS6PKW Defrost Problem

toddme

Model
PFSS6PKW
Brand
GE
Hi Rick. Thank you for all of your knowledge with these things. Here is my issue. I have a GE profile PFSS6PKW refrigerator that freezes up on the back panel and puts water under the drawer. (Much like a lot of the others on here).

I tried defrosting and taking the panel off and melting all the ice and pouring water down the hole. It froze again.

I was reading your earlier thread and I preformed the self diagnostic test by holding the energy saver and alarm buttons together. I get an error of F1-G (Freezer defrost part error). Can you advise? Also, the refrigerator makes lots clicking periodically.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
.......freezes up on the back panel and puts water under the drawer.
OK, that makes me think you're referring to the fresh food compartment, but....
I get an error of F1-G...
... that's a freezer error. I'll go with the error code. Remove the evaporator cover and check the defrost heater and the over temperature thermostat for continuity. Here's a diagram:
Snapshot_15.jpg

Just in case you were referring to the fresh food section you need to do basically the same thing, check the heater and thermostat.
PFSS6PK FF Evap.jpg

deeppowder

Premium Member
I've been following this post for a couple months hoping for a fix as I have the same model and issues. Using the information found in other posts here on the forum I've been just defrosting every so often as needed.
That is getting old and I would like to finally fix the cause. I don't have the easiest access to the control panel so hoping to find a most likely suspect.
I don't have cooling issues until ice builds up to the fan. The defrost works but I'm still getting ice build up throughout the back panel filling the air vent passages in the Styrofoam and the one going to the little box (not sure what it is) behind the deli drawer.
I'm not opposed to "throwing parts at it" if there is a most likely cause for this issue.

Thanks, Mark

deeppowder

Premium Member
After just opening it all up and thawing it out less than a month ago I open the door this morning to find it's not cooling again although the screen shows 38° like normal items are noticeable warmer.

So once again open it up and this is what I find
DSC_0751.jpg
DSC_0752.jpg
DSC_0755.jpg
DSC_0756.jpg

inner Styrofoam solidly frozen in place and all air passages filled with ice. As you can tell the heater cores work so why am I getting this much ice build up?

rickgburton

Staff member
It looks like a sealed system issue. Most likely a refrigerant Leak or maybe a partial restriction. Here's how to double check it. Use a hair dryer and defrost all the ice and frost on the coils. Put everything back together and install the evaporator cover. Set the controls to the factory settings and wait 24 hours. Leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern on the coils. You want to see a very light coat of white frost on all the coils top to bottom.

Here's a couple pictures of other machines with the same issue.
Sealed System Issue.jpg

deeppowder

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, that's what I was thinking too the lady time I thawed it out. When the manual defrost ended and it started to cool again the evap finds frosted over heavily in a matter of under 20 minutes.

I think we are going to bite the bullet and replace it rather than fixing all the issues, at least 3. These are the ones we are looking at so far, any recommendations?

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

My wife likes the LG for the space and for mounted ice maker but I remember seeing here it is a brand to avoid.

Thanks for your help, Mark

rickgburton

Staff member
I would stay away from LG and Samsung. Just be sure to do your homework first. No one makes a perfect machine and other than LG and Samsung they all have about the same amount of problems. I have Whirlpool appliances.

sabre123

Premium Member
Hello, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm having the same issue (different model), and was wondering if the back panel that you removed to access the drain tube looked like part number 98 in this diagram:

00106106.p06_2325.jpg

I can't get that thing off for the life of me. I can get the six clips (three on each side) free, but the top won't budge. There has to be a secret to get it out.

Thanks

Wx4usa

Premium Member
If your model looks like the one you pictured, the panel is also held in by two screws in the center shelf support. If is is still hard to pull off it is iced. These fridges use styrofoam on that panel and behind it so if those 2 screws and shelf support are removed and you still cannot remove it, unplug and defrost for 24 hours to get rid of the ice. Pulling with the ice intact will break the styrofoam. If not exactly like the one pictured, start a new post.

Last edited:

sabre123

Premium Member
Thanks. It's the same as pictured. Probably frozen, as you've stated. The Styrofoam seems to be stuck (frozen) to the back of the opening, and not mounted inside the panel, like it should be. So, I probably separated it when I pried it loose. Thanks again for the info. I may defrost it and try again.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
My pleasure sabre123... Keep in mind that if the fault rests in the defrost system causing an ice buildup on the evaporator, it will not go into manual defrost.

sabre123

Premium Member
Ah, good to know. I think I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to borrow some space in a neighbor's fridge/freezer for a day to let this thing defrost. Not ideal, but I feel like since this has been going on for some time, I've probably got a mini glacier back there.