PFSS6PKXBSS GE (Samsung) bottom freezer not cold enough

rrreinig

Premium Member
Model Number
PFSS6PKXBSS
Brand
GE
I have a GE french door refrigerator model number PFSS6PKXBSS, made by Samsung.
The freezer temperature will not cool below 20 deg even when the displayed temperature on the door says it is at -14 deg. I replaced the freezer temperature sensor (WR23X10580) but the problem didn't change. How can the display think the freezer is -14 when it is actually 20?

If I unplug the refrigerator and plug it back in, the display temperature for the freezer shows correct (20 deg) but then it slowly goes down to -14 deg while the actual temperature stays at 20.

I use a separate freezer thermometer to measure the actual temperature in the freezer. When the refrigerator is first plugged in the door display of freezer temperature indicates 78 deg and as the freezer cools down the displayed temperature goes down, tracking with the thermometer temperature until it reaches about 30 deg, then the displayed temperature continues to go down until it reaches the set temperature (-14) while the thermometer stops going down at about 20 deg. I know that the thermometer is correct because I have tried it in other freezers and also, the ice cream in my freezer is much too soft.

I checked the +12V and +5V outputs from the power supply board and they are good. The condenser coils are clean and the fan is running. The freezer evaporator coils showed a small amount of frost at the top the last time I looked at them but have shown no frost at other times. The two fans in the freezer section are running (one for the freezer and the other for the ice maker). I am guessing that the main control board may be bad but I would like some verification before I spend money for a new one. I have seen several other posts with similar problems where replacing the control board didn't help.

As a side note, the ice maker has stopped working but I am assuming that is because the temperature in the ice maker compartment is about 25 deg (I am told that it must be below 15 deg in order for the ice maker to cycle).

Any help solving this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The freezer evaporator coils showed a small amount of frost at the top the last time I looked at them but have shown no frost at other times.
What did they look like after 30-60 minutes of running?

jeff.

rrreinig

Premium Member
Jeff,

Thanks for responding.
The first time I looked at the coils they were clean but it took me an hour to figure out how to get the drawers out so they might have defrosted. The second time I looked at the coils, the freezer had been running for a few days (at about 20 degrees) and I was able to get it apart quickly. This time there was some frost at the top of the coils covering the defrost temperature sensor and the top 1 inch of the coils. I don't know if I randomly interrupted a defrost cycle or what. The frost quickly melted after I removed the coil cover.

rrreinig

Premium Member
When I realized that the freezer temperature sensor that I had purchased was not the one in the back near the coils, I found it on the ceiling of the freezer compartment and replaced it. This location made sense to me because the sensor was supposed to be measuring the temperature of the freezer and not the heat of the defrost system. But the problem didn't change.

jeff1

Staff member
The second time I looked at the coils, the freezer had been running for a few days (at about 20 degrees) and I was able to get it apart quickly. This time there was some frost at the top of the coils covering the defrost temperature sensor and the top 1 inch of the coils.
And the rest where bare?
If yes, = a major system problem of some sort. Could be leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these.

jeff.

rrreinig

Premium Member
Yes, the rest of the coils were frost free. The freezer is now running at about 25 to 30 deg and the refrigerator portion has gone up from its usual 38 deg to 40 deg. It does appear that something is deteriorating. I am hoping it can be fixed by adding freon, at least until we have time to shop for a new one.
I have a technician scheduled to come out tomorrow.
I will report on what the technician finds.
Thanks Jeff, you are the only one who responded out of the three forums where I posted this issue.

rrreinig

Premium Member
OK, after the first repair tech (from PULS) didn't show up, I scheduled an appointment with GE service. The GE tech came this morning and verified that the problem is a leaking refrigerator (not freezer) evaporator. He added 4 oz of refrigerant (the unit only holds 5 oz) and ordered the parts to replace the evaporator. He will be back next Monday to perform the repairs. Total cost is $515.
Thanks for all your help.

jeff1

Staff member
Glad to hear you are getting somewhere with it!
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.

rrreinig

Premium Member
Now that the issue is settled, I thought I should give an update as to what happened.
When the GE Tech added the Freon on Oct 7, the freezer immediately responded and the temperature dropped below zero for several days but started warming up after about a week.
The tech returned 9 days later and installed the new refrigerator evaporator. The freezer got cold but only for a few hours and then the entire refrigerator/freezer quit cooling and rose to room temperature.
The tech returned the next day and spent several hours searching for and possibly repairing leaks on the high pressure side near the compressor. The freezer was cold when he lift but completely room temperature by the next morning.
Another appointment was scheduled for the next day but I called the tech and discussed the situation. He informed me that he thought the leak was internal to the compressor and not repairable. He also provided me with a phone number to call to receive a refund on all of the money I had paid him except the original $99 diagnostic fee. I thought that was fair and we called 'time of death' on the just turned 10 year old $2500 GE/Samsung refrigerator.
Last night we shopped for and purchased a new refrigerator. I can tell you that the new one wasn't a GE or a Samsung, although to be fair, GE doesn't have Samsung make their refrigerators any more. The salesman told me that in his experience, Samsung was the most unreliable refrigerator on the market.

jeff1

Staff member
Samsung was the most unreliable refrigerator on the market.
Only second worst....next to LG!

Sorry to hear of your problems :(
Thankx for the update!

jeff.