• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PFSS9PKYSS GE profile fridge ok but freezer 60 degrees

Td23

Premium Member
Model Number
PFSS9PKYSS
Brand
GE
Help! Ge profile freezer crapped out on me a few days ago. Reading 60 degrees F while fridge appears to be ok at 38. I performed minimal testing hoping to find something simple. Coils had minimal dust build up on them but cleaned them. Compressor fan is running, compressor is running- I checked between all 3 contacts measured 9.8 ohms between each 2, both evap fans in freezer are running while I hold switch in- resistance in those were 20 ohms. I entered self diagnostics via the panel but no codes appeared. The led light on the inverter panel is solid red. Not sure if anyone has any ideas for me but would greatly appreciate it! Just hoping it’s not compressor. Thank you!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the official service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mKDdDvqdiX1m2R4py-W2DHziRZzVUYh0/view?usp=sharing Look on Page 41 where it says 3-Way Valve, it tells you how to test it.

Testing the 3-Way Valve
The valve returns to “home” at the end of every freezer defrost cycle and whenever the refrigerator is reconnected to power.
To test the valve, disconnect the refrigerator from power for at least 10 seconds, place a finger on top of the valve, and reconnect power.
The main control overdrives the valve to the “home” position.
You should be able to feel the valve vibrate as the coil moves the magnet to the home position .
If movement is present, the main board and valve coil are operating correctly.

Here's the 3-Way Valve for your model:

The the 3-Way Valve shows out of stock, and some sites list it as discontinued.

Here's the main control board for your model:

The main control board shows in-stock.

Jake

Td23

Premium Member
Thank you for response. I tested the valve, I did feel some movement in the valve for a short period of time. I wish I knew what it would feel like new

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree. I have never had to run that test before, because I have not run into this problem on this as of yet.

So If the freezer evaporator coil is not getting any frost on it at all and the refrigerator evaporator coil does have a good frost pattern chances are that 3-Way Valve is bad.

Did you ohm test it like the service manual mentioned to do?

Jake

Td23

Premium Member
I did test coil per manual, it checks out with 40 ohms between the selected pins. For the 3 way valve. I do feel a slight vibration until the compressor kicks on

By the time I got to taking panels off the freezer, temp was at 60 degrees for a couple days so I did not see any frost on coils but there wasn’t any water either. I have no taken any panels off in freezer only because it seems to be working ok

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the freezer is working fine now? If so, then its possibly that 3-Way Valve is starting to mechanically fail and cause it to be intermittent now.

Jake

Td23

Premium Member
No freezer is still not working unfortunately. I can feel a slight vibration in the 3 way valve once I plug machine back in. But once compressor kicks on I no longer feel vibration in valve. Do you think this could be an issue with compressor or circuit board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you think this could be an issue with compressor or circuit board?
That I don't know, as I have not worked on this model as of yet.

Since the 3-Way Valve ohms good, and you feel some vibration with your finger on it, then it seems more to me that the 3-Way Valve has failed mechanically.

The service manual says there is no way to volt test from the motherboard to that 3-Way Valve.

So ordering a new motherboard would be playing a guessing game, and that's not a good idea, once you install the new motherboard they won't let you return it, then your out $284

Jake

Td23

Premium Member
I am also leaning towards the 3 way valve which sucks because of having to evacuate and recharge system. I was hoping to find something that’d have been a simple swap out. I’ve recharged freon in vehicles and machines but nothing like this. I may call my local appliance dealer tomorrow see if they can give me a ball park diagnosing and replacing valve (if they can even get one). If I’m able to fix this thing for 5-600 I might go for it

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, let us know how it goes.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.