FIXED PGB930SET3SS GE Profile Oven uneven flame

fbacher

Premium Member
Model
PGB930SET3SS
Brand
GE
The left front burner has an uneven flame causing things to cook faster on the left half away from the igniter. The pressure regulator and orifice were replaced today but no change. The other burners look OK. This is the largest burner except for the center and simmer burner. While all the other "tops" seem to have slots evenly spaced around the burner, this one appears to be missing a slot on either side of the igniter (by design?). Coincidentally the flame is much lower around that side of the burner too. I have an aluminum top and cast cap coming for that burner in the hopes that there is something wrong with the top (maybe warped?). Any thoughts as to if this is normal for this model? My wife is not sure when this started but thinks it was OK in the first year or so. Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the parts list for your model: GE Range Model PGB930SET3SS Parts

Take the orifice holder out and clean the orifice and the burner valve with a wire brush. Be sure to clean the line out before reinstalling it.
Orifice holder.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
There must be a problem in the burner head. Did he take that apart or replace it?

fbacher

Premium Member
IMG_2714.JPG

The burner head is just a casting with slot around the perimeter. You'll notice that the large burner head (1st pic)seems to be missing two slots that the medium burner (2nd pic) has and that side has a lower flame. These are not machined but cast so this must be intentional.

Once I get the new burner head that he ordered for me I'll try that along with the new cap. Except for the missing slots it looks perfect to me.

IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2718.JPG

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
So does the flame. Pictures can be deceiving. It's one of those things you just need to be there and see for yourself I guess. I haven't seen that kind of problem before.

fbacher

Premium Member
We'll see if the new head and cap fixes this. The flame is very horizontal and small on the right and much larger on the left and more angled upward. the left side of any pot or pan tends to burn or cook much faster too.

rickgburton

Staff member
That's weird, the cap is just a flame/gas spreader and the gas in the burner head is forced out the slots in the side. I'm not sure, just by looking, if the slots are missing or graduated. Here's what the new one looks like:
Surface Burner BaseRepairClinic.com
Surface-Burner-Base-WB16T10046-01043160.jpgSurface-Burner-Base-WB16T10046-01043156.jpgSurface-Burner-Base-WB16T10046-01043164.jpg

fbacher

Premium Member
Looks identical with the two missing slots. Very strange. I know the oven seems to work better with the new regulator. We would occasionally get some orange red in the tips of the flame and they are solid blue now. No other gas appliance seems to have any issues. I'll post when I get the new cap but now I'm not expecting very much. My wife noticed that at half setting it seems pretty even so maybe it just needs to be turned down with the adjuster in the shaft. I'll try that once I try the new cap.

rickgburton

Staff member
......with the adjuster in the shaft.
Ah ha, To Adjust The Low Flame Setting, At least 2 other surface burners must be lit. Then, lite the burner being adjusted and turn knob to "LOW". Remove knob and insert the screwdriver into valve shaft. Turn the adjustment screw until the flame reaches the desired size.

Test 1: Turn the knob from "HI" to "LOW" quickly. If the flame goes out, increase the flame size and test again.

Test 2: With burner on "LOW" setting, open and close the oven door quickly. If the flame is extinguished by the air currents created by the door movement, increase the flame height and test again.

fbacher

Premium Member
So if the cap doesn't work my only thought was that one burner is set too high so that from mid to high there is just too much gas to flow evenly thru that design. It might be a bad theory but I'm not sure what is left to fix or try. I will contract GE again to see if I can take it higher up the chain to an engineer maybe. It just makes the most usable burner not as useful as it could be.

rickgburton

Staff member
Every time you replace the pressure regulator you need to adjust all the low flame settings for all the burners that have an adjustment screw is the shaft. That will most likely fix your problem.

fbacher

Premium Member
That makes sense except I had this problem before they replaced the regulator and it was one of the reasons they did that. The problem persisted and only with this one burner.

So I just did a quick check on this one large burner and the then medium burner in back of it. Right now low seems pretty low and flickers partially off on the large burner when I open and close the oven door but within seconds lights the entire perimeter again. If anything it might be too low. it's an uneven flame on the large burner from 1 right up to hi and just becomes more noticeable as you turn the gas up. So it is more on the left away from the igniter than the right on any setting.

By contrast, the medium burner is very even from low to high. The medium burner looks perfect to me.

fbacher

Premium Member
OK, not only did the send me the burner and cap but they sent me ALL of the top burners and caps. I think it's very much improved now. You can only see a very slight difference between the two. I even went back and put the old burner on and looked at both with a pot over the burner. It's 90% improved and I'm happy with it.

Here are both pics of the burner on high, new and old:

new burner.JPG old burner.JPG