FIXED PGB930SET3SS Oven will not heat up to correct temperature and shuts off randomly

XRacer264

Premium Member
Model Number
PGB930SET3SS
Brand
GE
We have a GE Profile PGB930SET3SS purchased 5 years ago.

Cook top works fine. The oven will not heat up to the correct temperature and randomly turnings off the oven. This past week tried to cook brownies at 350 degrees and they were raw after 40 minutes. Baked them with the convection oven and they were fine. Then last night, we tried the convection oven to bake at 325 degrees and it was warm/cold in the center and the oven turned off randomly. What tests should I perform to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you first turn the oven on how long does it take to light the gas? You can open the oven door and watch the orange glow from the bake igniter and time it from oven start to oven flame, it should take no longer than 60 seconds. It should be closer to 45 seconds or less.

When you say the oven turns off, does the display still have the temperature set at 350 and not heating anymore? Or does it go back to the normal default clock display? Or does the display go blank?

Jake

XRacer264

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Timed the oven lighting and it was about 15-20 seconds. As far as turning off, the oven shut down and went back to the normal clock display. Also tried to cook cookie at 325 for 12 minutes and the dough was raw.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first ohm test the oven sensor. You'll need a multimeter.

Pull your RANGE out from the wall, then unplug it OR turn the breaker off to it, then take the back access panel off and you will see a connector that goes to it, remove the connector and ohm test it. Normal would be 1050-1100 ohms at room temperature.

Watch this video to ohm test it: Oven Sensor Testing Video

Here's the oven sensor for your model you can order if yours is bad:
WB20K10027 Temperature Sensor

If the oven sensor is good, did you move anything next to the range like a cordless phone when this started happening? Sounds like some signal interference is causing it to do this.

I've heard cordless phones, microwaves can interfere with it.

Do you have a cordless phone or microwave thats close to it?

I remember one in South Texas many years ago that did the same thing, we had like 5 techs. go out and even the manager, and still couldn't find out what was going on, the only thing we could assume was they had high voltage power lines that ran really close to their house that could have been causing it, but we could never confirm it.

Its possible you could have a bad control board. That's the only logical part it could be if the oven sensor is good and you DON'T have signal interference, because that's the only part that controls the oven, besides the oven sensor.

Here is the control board for your model:
WB27K10381 Control Ovn

Let us know what you find.

Jake

XRacer264

Premium Member
One additional observation, Seem like the lower temp setting (200-300s) don't generate enough heat but if you set the temp to 400+ it's seems fine. Could it be that it's heating but not to 400? I could get an over thermometer to verify. Also there is a microwave above the range but it's been there from day one. Would a Kureg or Electric tea pot cause interference or if a breaker tripped would that damage the range?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Would a Kureg or Electric tea pot cause interference or if a breaker tripped would that damage the range?
Possibly, did you move them closer to your range before this happened?

Seem like the lower temp setting (200-300s) don't generate enough heat but if you set the temp to 400+ it's seems fine. Could it be that it's heating but not to 400?
That's very odd, I don't know, never seen that happen before, you may need to have GE come out to see what's going on, this is highly unusual.

Jake

XRacer264

Premium Member
Well I tested the senor and it was good. Ordered the control board today. I'll let you know if it's fixed once the replacement board is installed.

XRacer264

Premium Member
Received the new control board on Friday 12/14/18. Pretty straight forward swop. I recommend taking a photo of the board before removing the old one noting wire location. Took about 10 minutes and the oven worked perfectly after.

Thank you Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent XRacer264, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

I recommend taking a photo of the board before removing the old one noting wire location.
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that.:)

Jake

XRacer264

Premium Member
Jake,

Tried the oven again last night and it was the same as before. Didn't reach full temp and then shut off. As far as the sensor should I totally remove it from the oven to test? Last time I just disconnected it and tested it,

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, just leave the oven sensor in the oven to ohm test it.

In fact cut the plastic electrical connectors off each end, then strip the wire insulation back about 3/4" inch then direct wire it with a wire nut, we have had a few have problems with those plastic electrical connectors, causing this not reaching full temp and shutting down problem.

Jake