• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PGB995SET2SS GE Gas Convection oven shutting off during preheat

ktpapa

Model Number
PGB995SET2SS
Brand
GE
Purchased new in 2012.

I set the lower oven to preheat and it goes maybe 2 minutes and then the whole thing shuts off, and it trips the panel in the kitchen that it is plugged into (so my electric tea kettle won't work either that is plugged into that same circuit.) It does this if I select convection OR regular bake. The heating element is recently replaced, and this issue was happening before that replacement and continues.

Is this a control board issue? What else could it be? For the record, the upper oven, not convection, works fine. The upper oven is dial controlled, and the lower oven is touch panel controlled on this model.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
it trips the panel in the kitchen that it is plugged into (so my electric tea kettle won't work either that is plugged into that same circuit.)
A range should be on a separate circuit all by itself. If its breaker tripped, it shouldn't affect anything else.

ktpapa said:
It does this if I select convection OR regular bake.
On both those settings multiple oven elements are used, drawing a lot of power.

ktpapa said:
Is this a control board issue? What else could it be?
There is nothing the control can do to trip a house breaker. If the breaker doesn't trip right away as soon as turned on, the problem is likely in the fuse box and NOT the range. It might be a 'weak' breaker or a loose connection in the box.

I'd suggest you have a licensed electrician come in to inspect that breaker box and breaker. While he's there you might want to discuss getting your kettle outlet off the stove's electrical circuit.

JMO

Dan O.