• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PGSS5RKZHSS GE Refrigerator zero power to the whole unit when plugged in - Control board or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithguy

Premium Member
Model Number
PGSS5RKZHSS
Brand
GE
Hello everyone!
Thanks for reading this. I have a GE PGSS5RKZHSS fridge with zero power to the whole unit when plugged in. This unit has the inverter driven compressor. I've tested for 120v at the inverter supply plug and it is there. However, there is no 5-7v DC signal at this unit on the red/white plug. On the control board, I have also verified 120v between the J11-4(TAB) pin and the J7-9 pins, and verified continuity between J15 1 & 2 (on the control board) and the red/white connector at the inverter unit. The control board fuse is testing good. There is absolutely no power in the entire unit, no lights, no control panel power, no humming of the compressor, nothing. I'm thinking control board (just because it supplies all of that, no?), but would like to get the professional communities' opinion.

Thanks again for reading, I've uploaded the technical schematic that came with the unit.

Attachments

• GE fridge schematic.jpg
    GE fridge schematic.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 54

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the schematic below, its easier to read. Sounds like the control board is the culprit. Check for 5-6 VOLTS DC between J15-1 and J15-2 on the motherboard(main control board).

The inverter receives commands from the main control board. The main control board will send a PWM run signal from the J15 connector of between 4-6 VDC effective voltage to the inverter (all wires must be connected). The inverter will select compressor speed (voltage output) based on this signal. The main control board will only send a run signal to the inverter when the compressor should be on.

Note: When measuring signal voltage (from the main control board) at the inverter, a reading of 4-6 VDC will be measured with all wires connected.

Here's the main control board for your model:
ge-board-asm-main-wr55x11098-ap5324215_01_m.jpg

J4-2 is 13.6 volts DC that powers the dispenser board. So measure volts from J4-2 to J4-1 and see how many volts you get. Also measure from J4-2 to J4-3 and see how many volts you get.

Here's the fan pinouts below, check voltage on those pins because the fans should be running even if the compressor isn't running:
WR55X11098-fans.jpg

Here's the other pinouts to check voltage to the LED lights:
WR55X11098-1.jpg

Attachments

• 31-51811-2 GE PGSS5RKZHSS Mini Manual.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 53

smithguy

Premium Member
WOW! This is EXACTLY the info I needed to troubleshoot this! Thanks so much Jake for providing this. Safe to assume then if I'm not getting any if the readings then the control board is done, yes?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Safe to assume then if I'm not getting any if the readings then the control board is done, yes?
Yes, that is correct.

Keep us posted.

Jake

smithguy

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake! It's funny, the schematic that comes with the fridge doesn't show the EMI filter (the schematic I uploaded), but the one you uploaded does. It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to have any of the local parts shops find that filter. You're info is GREAT! Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent smithguy, glad to hear that new main control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.