PHB920SFSS GE induction range shows FA91 fault code

Erikmarko

Premium Member
Model Number
PHB920SFSS
Brand
GE
Hi guys, I have a GE model PHB920SFSS induction range. My burners turn off after several seconds and give me code FA91. What do you guys think is wrong, how do I fix it and how much would it cost me?

Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
FA9*- Induction cooktop coil temperature sensor break. If all the surface units turn off you'll probably need to replace the Induction assembly. It's out of stock wherever I check

Erikmarko

Premium Member
Rickgburton thanks for the info. I looked up induction assembly and it looks like all the electronics under the stove top? Are you sure that everything needs to be replaced?! Btw when I get the error code you can't use any burner until you reset the stove or it possibly cools down I'm thinking. Then it works again for several days until something trips the error code or burners just simply turn off after a while without the error code. With this information do you still think that entire induction assembly needs to be replaced or could it be something more simple?

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Sorry Erik, my bad. I don't have the tech sheet for that specific model so I was using one that was similar. I found one that was more similar. FA9*= Coil sensor break. 1=left rear. The resistance of the coil sensor at room temperature is 1000Ω. Measure the resistance of the left rear coil sensor:

coil sensor-.jpg
coil sensor-1.jpg

Erikmarko

Premium Member
Hi Rickgburton, I'll try to measure the resistance but I have to get the multimeter first. Now I have noticed that once one burner stops working none of them work. So my question is would just this one defective burner (LEFT REAR) cause all of them to malfunction? Will I have to replace just one or all of them?

rickgburton

Staff member
Is the FA91 the only error code? Can you post a copy of the wiring diagram from your tech sheet?

Erikmarko

Premium Member
Hi Rickgburton, I only get FA91 code or no codes at all and burners simply turn off after few seconds without any codes. I don't have any wiring diagrams but I found this service manual. It says its for phb925sb1ss and my stove is PHB920SFSS so I am not sure if its exactly identical for both models. See if you can use this.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
That's the one I was using but it doesn't show the induction module schematic. I don't know if shuts down the cook top when only one is out. The thermal limiter between the two generator on the heat sink will shut down the cook top if it opens but it's a one shot deal ( I think). The next time the cooktop shuts down check it for continuity
Snapshot_4.jpg

Erikmarko

Premium Member
Hi Rick, I'm still waiting for my multimeter to come in so I can check some electronics in the stove but in the meantime I tried to figure out when or how my stove stops working and then starts back up. I stopped getting FA91 error code, what happens now after cooking for a while the burner that I am using just turns off and after that happens all burners stop working (they turn on only for few seconds). So I wait a while and I think that when the stove cools off I am able to turn all the burners back on. Does this situation gives you a clue to what the problem could be.

Thanks again,

Erikmarko

Premium Member
Is it possible to replace just that part? Do you know what part number that would be?

rickgburton

Staff member