PHE25YGXAFWW GE fridge cools for a week then stops

JanH

Premium Member
Model Number
PHE25YGXAFWW
Brand
GE
Hi,

My GE side-by-side seemed broke a few weeks ago, even after a technician replaced some parts (thermisotors) and checked and added cooling gas. We had given it up but after a few days I plugged it back in and it suddenly started cooling again, with no problems, and without much effort (I mean it wasn't constantly running) (freezer at -18 and fridge at +3 celsius). But this morning it suddenly stopped cooling again (that's after running fine for about two weeks). Any ideas what could be causing this? I don't think it's the fans or the thermistors or the cooling gas/liquid.

all ideas welcome!
thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When it stops cooling is the compressor and fans still running? Or is everything dead silent?

Jake

JanH

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Yes, the fans definitely, not 100% sure about the compressor, but the air coming out of the vents inside the fridge wasn't cool. Also I think the compressor in the back is supposed to feel hot/warm but it wasn't.
This was yesterday though. After I turned off the fridge a while, it is now working again, which makes it a bit harder to diagnose the problem. Last time it ran perfect for about two weeks. Now I think there's a bit more noise coming from inside the fresh food side.

Jan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jan,

Next time it happens pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and feel the top of the compressor and see if its vibrating and warm to hot.

Is this refrigerator on 220V or 240V?

Jake

JanH

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply. It's on 220V (Europe). I'll check next time, but I'm pretty sure that the compressor was not warm (and certainly not hot) and the compressor fan was running.

Jan.

JanH

Premium Member
Hi Jake, it just happened again, after approx. a week, and the compressor is not running, but the fans (including the one near the compressor) all are.
This refrigerator is an inverter model running on 220/240 VAC

Jan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the compressor hot to the touch?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its possibly a bad inverter or bad control board.

The only problem is I have no tech data information on European appliances to help you out.

Search google for a European Appliance Repair Forum.

Jake

JanH

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

OK, thanks for your time!
One question though: is it possible that the inverter works sometimes for a week, and then fails, only to work again later? Because that is the behavior of the fridge...

kind regards,
Jan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jan, That can happen where its intermittent like that at first.:)

Jake

JanH

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Another possibility: if the defrost heater is broken is it possible that the freezer will stop cooling until the freezer evaporator defrosts without heater (meaning the freezer temp has to go way up above 32) ?
This also seems to fit the symptoms.
Jan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I said Jan, I'm not familiar with European appliances, so I can't answer that, since I don't work on European appliances.

Jake