FIXED PHS69EJSS0 Frigidaire Refrigerator ice maker works, water dispenser stopped

stackz

Premium Member
Model Number
PHS69EJSS0
Brand
Frigidaire
It's a side by side unit. We had a party and did "extra ice" for ice maker and next day the water dispenser stopped. I thought maybe the line froze but reading the manual says the dispenser line isn't chilled. Ice maker works fine still. Maybe just a coincident with the party? Anyway. I pulled the filter out and put it back in and still nothing.

Could it be clogged? I hear no noise of any kind when the dispenser tab is pressed either. Maybe partial water valve failure? I'm just looking for things to check before I start throwing parts at it or tearing it apart for no reason.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like the water actuator lever got accidently broke during your party. Because when you press the water dispenser lever you should hear your microswitch click, thus you get water. But it would be good to watch the video below just to make sure before you order it.:)

Here's the water dispenser lever assembly for your model:

Its less expensive here:

I couldn't locate the exact video for this model, but I did find one close to your model.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

stackz

Premium Member
I will watch the video and check the lever when I get home but when it is pressed. I do hear that familiar little click noise and the night light does come on to illuminate the dispenser if that matters?? Other than this being the issue the only parts I can think about are the control board and the water valve. I looked at the valve online and its got 3 solenoids of different colors. you happen to know which color one does what and if I can simply ohm them to test them? or is there a test procedure? As far as the lever, is it possible to take the connector the lever connects to and jump it to see if that is the issue?? I assume it has 4 wires? two to turn on the water valve solenoid and two to turn on the night light?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In your first post you said:
I hear no noise of any kind when the dispenser tab is pressed either.
That's why I thought you heard no click sound.:)

Now what you will want to do is ohm test that microswitch for continuity when the button is pushed in. Unplug your refrigerator from the wall outlet first.

Microswitch:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You'll need a multimeter to see if your getting 120 volts to the WATER DISPENSER side of the water inlet valve. The YELLOW solenoid is for the WATER DISPENSER. Just remove the plastic electrical connector that goes to it, then put your meter leads in each one and then have someone press the water dispenser lever and watch your meter for 120 volts. If you get 120 volts, and no water is coming through then your water inlet valve is the culprit.:)

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
242252702 Water Valve

Let us know what you find.

Jake

stackz

Premium Member
finally had a chance to pull the heavy beast out of its home. pulled off the paper panel and pulled out the 3way valve and tested the yellow solenoid by taking the plug off and probing the plug with my multimeter and hitting the water switch. sure enough 115v to the plug terminal. I ohm'd the yellow solenoid and it was nothing across the terminals so I assume that particular solenoid is bad.

I'm going to order a new 3 way valve off ebay but I'm so curious. aside from valve color is the one next to the yellow solenoid basically the same? they look almost identical and the plugs are the same. Just thinking about keeping my old one for spare parts instead of possibly ordering another valve all over again...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the solenoids are basically the same.

Yes, the new water inlet valve should fix it, keep us posted.

I wouldn't order it on ebay if I was you, way too many parts come defective through ebay, as there is no oversight there.

You'll may pay a little more to buy it from my link to it above, but I guarantee it will work. And your helping out our site too boot, as server costs ain't cheap.:)

Jake

stackz

Premium Member
ok. I replaced the valve with a brand new in box valve straight from the link (and yeah it came in an eloctrulux(sp) box and everything. with the fridge out, I can hear the valve click and make noises. hell, I can feel it getting hot. water isnt coming out the dispensor. the switch has to be working because the valve makes noise and the light in the dispensor area comes on, but alas, no waawaa.

as far as I know, this line does NOT go through the freezer. its literally the only thing I can think of is that the line is frozen over. I mean how else could it be clogged yet the ice maker still works (I understand they are on different lines). Its stupid shit like this that makes me want to buy a new fridge but I really really really dont want to unless I have to...

stackz

Premium Member
ok, the new valve definitely works. I unhooked the line (and at the same time pulled out the switch assembly from the front so its just hanging) and when I hit the switch I can literally see the water coming out of the valve onto the towel I have on the floor. its gotta be the line itself. does it really go through the freezer? the manual states its not cooled which is why I wonder? I'm going to get my pancake air compressor and blow the line out hoping that fixes it. other than that I have no intention of taking apart the fridge to replace the dumbass line itself...

stackz

Premium Member
ok, I'm down to the junction of the water line at the bottom of the door to the dispensor. yeah, I get water at the bottom of the door, just not up the door. god I hope theres a way to take the door cover off without taking the fridge apart and defrosting it...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can't take the door apart on this model.

Click the link to your water line tubing I'm posting below and you will see how to remove it and clear the blockage from it.

Here's the water line tubing that goes up inside your freezer door(Video Included):
218976409 Water Tube

Jake

stackz

Premium Member
ok so almost a month later and I'm ready to attempt to tackle this again. sigh. sooo. come to find out once I got the blockage cleared (was using a syringe to squirt hot water up the hose from the bottom of the door and put all back together. apparently the hose split in the door about mid way. how that happens on something that doesnt move? no clue.

anyway, I got new hose and taped it to the old line and started pulling. of course it snapped in half making it impossible to pull the line up through the door. I removed the other half from the bottom and I've tried 3 different types of fish tape and just simply cant get from one opening to the other. I'm about ready to just toss the fridge and buy a new one. I cant believe they made is this hard to service the water line. lets just assemble the door and THEN spray foam insulate it and glue it together...and then discontinue the stupid door lol. I dont even care if the door costs $200 at this point lol.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you let the freezer door thaw out for at least 24 hours first?

Its likely frozen in place.

Jake

stackz

Premium Member
How in the world am I supposed to do that with 400lb of food in the fridge and freezer? Either way what has been done has been done. I guess I will just keep playing with it and hope for a miracle.

stackz

Premium Member
I cant believe it, I'm the luckiest person alive I guess. time to go buy a lotto ticket I guess. I've been fiddling with it on/off this morning just feeding the line and feeling around with toothpicks on each end to see if I could "grab" it. I was feeding it from the bottom and sneezed which caused me to just sorta push forward and push the line (was kneeling on ground feeding from bottom) and I felt it go further. I looked up at the dispenser end and the damn thing was poking out through the hole. I about had a heart attack haha.

got it pulled through and fed and hooked up and the dispenser works again! I guess I'll keep my old used valve as a spare and I learned my lesson with this stupid water hose lol.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, persistence pays off. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake