• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PIM15W Polar portable Ice machine ran for 15 min but didn’t make any ice

BryanWa

Model Number
PIM15W
Hello.. I just inherited a Polar portable Ice machine by Greenway home products.

I filled it with water and plugged it in and then turned it on.. It pumped water into the tray area and i could hear the refrigerant system start… it ran for 15 min but didn’t make any ice.. just a little ice on the first little utter thingy…. The fan below never turned on…. I’m mechanically inclined but have never worked on a refrigerant system. From my little bit of online research it sounds like the compressor is bad….

Any suggestions on where to start??

1663938546654.jpeg 1663938612334.png IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1769.JPG

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have never seen such a model in person and don't know how it is designed to function but if the first little utter thingy with just a little ice on it is what makes the cubes, I would assume all of them should get similarly cold. Those will be the "evaporator" of the system.

If they're not cooling uniformly I would assume there likely is a refrigeration system problem. Usually that could include lack of refrigerant or a problem with the compressor itself but on your model there is also a reversing valve in the refrigeration system which might also malfunction and affect proper cooling.

Most refrigeration problems would usually require a trained refrigeration technician to look into further.

I found this response about that model ice maker online:
online post from Apr 06 2010 said:
My name is Victoria and I work for Greenway Home Products. Sorry to hear you are having some problems with your ice maker. Please feel free to call our customer service line at 1-866-253-0447 and they can let you know your nearest service center. If you feel more comfortable, you can email me directly at vpeer@greenwayhp.com. Hope this helps! (may be out of date)

Posted on Apr 06, 2010

JMO

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.