Please add my thanks to the many others!

Hello!

Old Kenmore (Whirlpool) 106.55602400 owner here. We've had it since new in fall of 2004 and it stopped making ice for the 4th time. The first time it quit Sears replaced the ice maker under warranty. The second time was about 16 months later and we found the main gear had moved away from the small gearbox gear when the cheap clip on the shaft had broken. A nice honest appliance repairman had some old dead units and kindly gave us a donor shaft that we used to repair it. I've since taken to mixing up a small amount of epoxy and sitting the new ice maker up on end and using a toothpick to fill the cavity between the clips and letting it dry before installing a new unit. We've never had one break there since and it seems to extend our replacement intervals out to about 3-4 years instead of a year and half to two.

Anyway, this time it quit making ice and I tried making up a repaired unit out of 2 old ones by swapping the motor. It made one load of ice and quit. I checked everything and found the LED on the sensor was acting strange. Random blinks or always off. So off to the internet to find new boards. Got those installed and blinking resumed and changed to solid when the flapper was down. Sweet, thinks I, but still no frozen cube thingies are forthcoming. So now I'm confused and August in Arizona without ice does not make for a happy wife or life.

Thankfully, some lucky Google-fu turns up this place and the massive sticky thread about other sufferers, whoops, I meant Kenmore/Whirlpool owners with, imagine this, the same trouble and woes as me! And they too were all helped by the sage advice of some truly amazing moderators. The ah-ha! moment for me was when I read that the IM modules often die at the same time as the sensors. And further reading convinced me that often IM modules are just dead because that's what they all eventually do. So, I put away my ohm/voltmeter and followed the handy dandy link provided in the tread and clicked "buy now" on a brand new genuine Whirlpool ice maker. A few days later, it arrived. I epoxied that sucker and installed it and what do you know? About an hour later the sweet sound of dropping cubes greeted my overheated ears. It's now a day later and bin is almost full despite the wife and kids practically bathing in ice cubes last night, so I wanted to stop back in and say a big THANK YOU to the folks that set this place up and keep it running. But it turned out that big massive sticky thread thingy was locked so I decided this might be a good place to say it. So thank you. And please keep up the good work!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad we were able to help you to fix your ice maker!

I'm in Arizona too, so yes I agree 100%, ICE is a must during the extreme HOT SUMMER months!

Jake