• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PLHS269ZDB7 Frigidaire Side-by-Side Making Noises Like It's Trying to Start Up

vbmike73

Premium Member
Model Number
PLHS269ZDB7
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a Frigidaire Side-by-Side PLHS269ZDB7. Everything is running and keeping cold and frozen fine. The problem is an annoying noise that happens countless times throughout the day. It's a sound like it's trying to start up something. I can hear it from the outside, but it's loudest on the top of the inside freezer side, near the common wall next to the fridge side. I can also hear it on the opposite side of the common wall on the fridge side. It starts out as very small, then stops. Then a second later it goes a hair longer, then stops. Then longer, then stops. Keeps going until it makes a constant fan running noise like it's supposed to sound (as I can only guess), then it eventually stops. Then the process starts all over again after a few minutes. I have attached a video of the noise to help diagnose. I thought it might be the run capacitor, but replacing that made no difference.

Attachments

vbmike73

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. The audio-only version of the clip is an MP3 in the attached zip file.

I noticed that the video will not play for my when I view the post from my iPhone. However, it does play when I view it on my Mac. But maybe it's not playable on Windows machines. So I converted it to audio only, and exported it as an MP3 and a WAV file, but for some reason this forum doesn't allow me to post those kinds of files, which I though was odd. So I just zipped it up.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I downloaded the video in your first post and it played well for me, I heard that sound, its possibly your air damper making that sound.

Remove that cover and see if its coming from your air damper.

Watch this video below to access it:

Here's the air damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 241600902

Jake

vbmike73

Premium Member
I downloaded the video in your first post and it played well for me, I heard that sound, its possibly your air damper making that sound.

Remove that cover and see if its coming from your air damper.

Watch this video below to access it:

Here's the air damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 241600902

Jake
Before I remove that cover, I listened to the noise again. This time I took out the ice tray and shelf from the freezer, and realized that it's a lot louder on the freezer side. I've attached another video. When it's making the noise, I can feel cold air being blown from the vents in the top back of the freezer side. Based on that, would you still recommend checking out the air damper? Thanks.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, That video is much more clearer, I know the problem now.

This is the part you need to fix it:
5303918476 Adaptive Defrost Control Board

The Adaptive Defrost Control Board controls power to that freezer fan motor, and its failing to supply a constant 120 volts to it.

They no longer make that part, unfortunately.

Jake

vbmike73

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I found one on this site, but not sure about buying from there... brisksale.com/p/5adc082eec296450125c8b0c/5303918476-electrolux-refrigerator-adaptive-defrost-control-board-ap4909015

Now that I know what's failing, is there any harm in leaving it be (aside from the noise)? Am I correct in assuming eventually it would just fail completely which would cause the fan motor to stop working all together?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Am I correct in assuming eventually it would just fail completely which would cause the fan motor to stop working all together?
Yes

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd be leery of buying it from that site, their return policy is not good--->Policy 30 day Returns. Buyer pays for return shipping. 20% restocking fee may apply.

Jake

vbmike73

Premium Member
Hey I just wanted to thank you both for your help. I like fixing things myself, but diagnosing the issue is often challenging without the background. Really appreciate it!