• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PLHS69EESS2 Frigidaire Refrigerator - Ice Tray Auger Seized

Holubec37

Premium Member
Model Number
PLHS69EESS2
Brand
Frigidaire
Recently my Frigidaire plhs69eess2 ice tray auger has begun getting stuck with a piece of ice. I can clear the tray, replace the ice and the auger will dispense ice. I try it again and its stuck again. The auger motor turns freely and the auger spins freely when you take all of the ice out. All of the other ice maker components have been replaced in the last few months.

Is it possible that something is worn out and that's what is causing the ice to get in there and wedge itself? All help is welcomed. Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Holubec37

Premium Member
I emptied out the ice tray and cleaned out all of the ice cubes. The piece dispenser drum does not appear to be broken, but I made a visual inspection without taking it apart. Is it a clearance issue that is causing this? When I put the ice cubes back in, I could not even them to dispense the first time. Its like something is causing it to seize. I just trying to understand the situation, it doesn't make any sense.

rickgburton

Staff member
I just trying to understand the situation
Me too and you're not explaining the problem very well. You can't dispense ice because the auger motor is not working,? the auger screw is not turning,? Ice cubes getting stuck in the drum?
Its like something is causing it to seize.
Causing what to seize ??

Holubec37

Premium Member
The auger motor is working, and the auger turns freely with no ice in the tray. It is a little eccentric when it rotates, and makes a "moaning" sound when it turns. It appears that something is causing it to bind up. I ordered the ice drum earlier this evening, just wondering if this maybe what is causing the eccentric rotation.

If I clear the ice tray and put the cubes back in I can get it to dispense ice, but something is in a bind after trying a minute later.

I hope I've maybe explained what is going on a little better.

Holubec37

Premium Member
The motor sounds like it is turning as normal but (looking up the ice chute) the ice drum is not turning; almost as if something has sheared off. The motor sounds the same as it does when I hold the lever down with no ice tray. But as I've said before, it'll work properly after I completely empty the tray, replace the cubes, and put it back in the freezer.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, the end of the auger screw is flat on two sides which makes it square, and goes into a square hole in the drum lock. The drum lock fits against the drum so the auger screw turns the drum lock and the drum lock is what turns the drum. The drum lock will wear the groves on the back of the drum that the drum lock fits into. I've also seen the auger screw make the square hole in the drum lock, round. I better make you a diagram. Check both parts.
drum lock.jpg

APP calls it a drive blade and it looks like this:
lock blade.jpg

Holubec37

Premium Member
It appears I have found what is causing my issue. The drive bar is spinning on the shaft that turns it. Is there a way to tighten it up? I've simulated the drive bar turning the auger with my hand and the tray assembly looks to work as it should with ice dumping out into the sink. After a few revolutions, it would get tougher and that's is what appears to fight against the drive bar and cause the shaft to rotate without turning the drive bar. Does this make sense? Let me know.

rickgburton

Staff member

Holubec37

Premium Member
That's not the part where its spinning, its spinning where it comes out of the back wall of the freezer. Part number 10 on the attachment. Is there a way to tighten part 21, if that's even where you can tighten it up there.
D091TJH3.gif

rickgburton

Staff member