• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

PLMV168CC1 Fan growl at start up

oldchev

Premium Member
Model Number
PLMV168CC1
Brand
Frigidaire
My 15 year old 2003 Frigidaire Electrolux Microwave (PLMV168CC1) has a fan growl (seize) sound upon first start after sitting unused for several hours. I suspect a dry bearing or bushing on the fan motor. Further starts are quiet or normal.
If you agree what is required to replace this fan motor? Part number? I am an older DIY'er and have personal satisfaction with successful repairs so intend to fix it myself.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
From where is the sound?

has a fan growl sound upon first start after sitting unused for several hours.
Which fan? The vent fan? There's also a stirrer motor (at the top of the oven cavity) and the turntable motor (at the bottom of the oven cavity) that might be audible. The turntable rollers might make sounds as well.

It's possible the blower might just have something in the fan blade that causes the sound. Actually inspecting it should be done before replacing it. If that's where the sound is originating and there's nothing in the fan blades that could be responsible for the sounds, the motor may be defective and need to be replaced.

LINK > Frigidaire PLMV168CC1 Vent Fan Asm.

LINK > PLMV168CC1 Stirrer Motor

LINK > PLMV168CC1 Turntable Motor

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

oldchev

Premium Member
Hello, Dan O.

I see one fan in the diagram although they call the "stirrer" a fan also.
Not the turntable, maybe the stirrer. Sound is same as older bathroom fan that has gone dry or any bushing motor for that part.
For the price ($280) of the fan assembly I can see why to inspect before buying a part. Thank you for the links and feedback.

-OldChev

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
When does the sound occur?

maybe the stirrer.
Someone should find out for certain.

The 'stirrer fan' should only run when it is cooking. It 'stirs' the microwaves to get even distribution for more even cooking.

For the price ($280) of the fan assembly
That is the price of the exhaust fan motor asm., not the stirrer fan.

Does the sound coincide with the exhaust fan operation or while cooking?

Dan O.

oldchev

Premium Member
The fan squelch is on start up. Once it is running it stops making the noise. I can say this...It seems to be more prevalent when temperatures are colder outside. Hardly if ever did I hear this all summer. I expect it to return when it gets colder again.
I have a new problem with the old gal ... starting another thread.
-Oldchev

oldchev

Premium Member
Yes. Its plugged in and clock is on like usual. Then say in the cool morning, I want to warm up some coffee or etc.
I program an amount of time and push START. The squelch or squeal happens at the start for just a moment until the (I assume the exhaust) fan gets up to speed.
Push start, then squeal, then ok until next time unless unit is used repeatedly. Just like a dry bearing.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I program an amount of time and push START. The squelch or squeal happens at the start for just a moment until the (I assume the exhaust) fan gets up to speed.
That will not be the exhaust fan. It doesn't run when only cooking. There are 3 other motors it could be though.

LINK > PLMV168CC1 Stirrer Motor

LINK > Turntable Motor

Maybe the most likely is:
LINK > PLMV168CC1 Magnetron Tube Cooling Motor Asm. 5304423385

That last motor only came as an assembly and is discontinued. If needed, you might be able to find a used one or find a general replacement motor at an electrical supplier to replace just it.

JMO