Possibly new Washing Machine - are all brands poor reliability now?

mjonjis

Premium Member
I'm not super old (haha), so historically I've always had good reliability with old Sears Kenmore (when they used Whirlpool for their washer/dryers). My "latest" washer is an actual LG (2008), and no major issues until now (probably bearings) but have the usual "something leaks a little from the dispenser tray and rusts stuff out", that seem to have plagued that model and possibly others. The Kenmore Elite dryer I have apparently is also an LG. Two items went on it (the gas thingy that starts the flame) which was a "fun" thing to replace. and then the more extensive stainless steel drum with the 'bad weld" (seems to plague LG and Samsung dryers). There used to be only ONE company that would do LG repairs (onsite), but that was a while ago, not sure they're still around. Everyone around here will do Whirlpool, Maytag, GE repairs.

Looking at reviews, they all seem to suck (washing machines) except for the $2,000+ speed queen which is WAY out of budget for me. Consumer Reports keeps rating LG the highest (I'm like, really?), but then you read the reviews at Lowes, HD, etc. and basically everything (washing machine wise) seems to have major issues. Control boards going bad, etc. The top-loaders seem to have issues with bunching up clothes and noise levels, but the front-loaders also have "noise" problems and amount of water, cleaning clothes, but I'm used to that with the old LG (not so much the noise, it's in the basement on a concrete floor), but the Energy Star standards basically give you 2 cups of water to wash things with (I'm exaggerating of course).

I guess I'm kinda torn with sticking with another LG (assuming I can't fix the bearings myself), given that it's difficult to find service for them (and parts, etc.) or possibly going with a more "problematic" Whirlpool/Maytag/GE but there seems to be good parts availability and repair people to fix them.

As long as there's a good YouTube video and parts, I'm willing to put forth some effort (for example, there isn't a YouTube one for the Kenmore/LG Dryer I have, but I found one "close enough" to assist me in taking it apart and replacing the drum).

bcemail

Premium Member
Looking at reviews, they all seem to suck...

Did you make a decision? We are in the same boat and anything that looks highly rated you start reading reviews and people are listed all the things that went wrong. Our Bosch made it 12 years but most of what they offer now is compact.

mjonjis

Premium Member
Did you make a decision? We are in the same boat and anything that looks highly rated you start reading reviews and people are listed all the things that went wrong. Our Bosch made it 12 years but most of what they offer now is compact.

I ended up with the Whirlpool top loader (the "smart" one). WTW8127LW
I like the soak function (missed that on my front-loader). So far, so good. We'll see though.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.