Problem with a Frigidaire Side by Side (GS26HSZDW2) after the east cost blizzard and blackout.

Alex Marrow

Premium Member
Model Number
GS26HSZDW2
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi. I have a major problem with our frigidaire side by side fridge. During the blackout (5 day's) It held it's cool as much as it could but now that power has been restored it's a mess. The fridge was having cooling/freezing problems to begin with. The top of both the fridge and freezer was not maintaining the proper temperature and the contents of the freezer bottom were encased in ice. The fridge side would occasionaly do that too.

Now back to what else has happened. 2 days ago power was restored to our area. We had been staying in a hotel and had already paid for the last night (day before yesterday) so we stayed over. I went home that evening and turned everything back on, got the house heated and straightened up a bit. Everything was ok. When we got home yesterday there was a strange smell in the house. We used the fireplace at one point but it turned out not to be that??? I opened the fridge to put some stuff we brought with us away and both sides of it were covered with what looked like Soot!. It was running though! Pictures are included.

The food was a mess and mostly shot but as you can see something 'exploded' inside. My question is what could cause this... Would it be worth cleaning and trying to repair it or just kick it to the curb (so to speak :) ). Were on a limited income and a 1k+/- expense will be very hard to cover. All the damage wa inside the fridge. There is no smoke like markings around the outside so everything that happened was contined within it.

Attachments

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Something got too hot inside and looks like it burnt up....could be a fan motor, defrost heater, electronic board, ice maker.....etc.
Nobody can make an educated decision until it has been looked at to see what let go an what is involved to repair it. *I* wouldn't run out and buy another refrigerator until we know what is wrong, what is needed to correct and the cost first.
JMO!

jeff.

Alex Marrow

Premium Member
The fridge is now emptied out except for the bottom 2 trays of the freezer which have not defrosted enough to get the trays out. I may have forgotten to mention the bottom 2 were caked in Ice so they were really the only 'freezer' part actualy freezing. So there may have been a defrost problem to begin with. The fridge is now off and I'm waiting for the bottom to thaw out. Once thawed I can dive in and start pulling it appart to see what 'Burnt'. I'd need to do that anyway to clean everything. One last point it must be something behind the walls so to speak because I can see smoke residue on the vents in both freezer and fridge. I ccan seend more pics if you'd like.

Thx
Alex

Alex Marrow

Premium Member
Oh one more point. The lights are working inside. It's humming almost like normal (real normal not how it sounded recently) and the water/ice dispenser works but of course there's no Ice and the Ice maker hasn't worked for a while either. anybody make a defib for refridgerators :) .