• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Problem with primary microswitch

freya105

Premium Member
Model Number
NN-T973SF
Brand
Panasonic
Microwave stopped working yesterday - timer works, light comes on but no heat and turntable doesn't move.

Opened it up and found the top microswitch connector is burnt i.e. the white plastic housing is black and crispy. All microswitches appear to be working normally. Fuse not blown. I've cleaned the connector, reinstalled and powered up. Everything seems to be working again normally.

BUT - obviously something caused the connector to arc and melt. Any ideas? Could this just be a temporary fix due to opening up and cleaning everything?

I plan to wrap the now exposed connector with electrical tape - is this good enough?

Thanks for any advice.

freya105

Premium Member
Replace the microswitch
Thanks - do you know if the microswitch could have caused the arcing or will the arcing also have damaged the switch? I'm just trying to work out what if anything I can do to prevent this from happening again.

freya105

Premium Member
Thanks - I opened up the old microswitch and it is in a bad way - lots of black from burning. Obviously the source of the connector problem. It looks like it is just poorly made. Amazing that a $3 part for most people would have meant buying a new microwave. Without sites like this I would have just thrown it away.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, that's for the update, that will help others in case they have this issue as well.:)

Jake