• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Problems with Kenmore Elite Dishwasher

browntwig

Premium Member
imported post

I don't know the model number, but we purchased this probably three or four years ago and have managed to lose the manual. At first, the soap dispenser would still have gunked up soap in it. Then the sprayer at the top wouldn't rotate. Now dishes have a film of dirt and soap and of course nothing gets clean. It's a mess! Should I just chuck it and buy another one? I hate to, because I've also got a leak in the shower that's going to mean replacing the entire thing, but that's another story. Any help or direction will be appreciated!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

browntwig wrote:
we purchased this probably three or four years ago
I'm afraid that does not help us at all to know which dishwasher you are dealing with. Not only are Kenmore dishwashers made by at least 3 different manufacturers, each manufacturer can have several different designs.

The only thing which will properly identify your machine is its full model number. You can find tips for locating that information *on the appliance* at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

At first, the soap dispenser would still have gunked up soap in it. Then the sprayer at the top wouldn't rotate. Now dishes have a film of dirt and soap and of course nothing gets clean.
All that could be caused by exactly the same thing, water not spraying (for whatever reason).

Should I just chuck it and buy another one?
I doubt it is a serious enough problem to justify replacing the machine but it is going to have to be systematically checked out to find the cause.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

browntwig

Premium Member
imported post

YEAH! I found the model number!

It's 665.1693900. Hope that helps get to the root of the possible problems with the machine. Thanks so much for your help on this one!!!!! You truly don't know what it means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

browntwig wrote:
I found the model number! It's 665.1693900.
I found a listing for a model # 665.16939000 (3-zeros at the end) which is a Whirlpool built machine.

Hope that helps get to the root of the possible problems with the machine.
As I stated previously, actual investigation will be needed to determine the cause. Just knowing which machine doesn't help all that much at this point.

A first step might be checking to make sure the dishwasher is filling (and staying filled until drained) with the proper amount of water which should usually be to just below the heating element.

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~