• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Problems with water build up at bottom of freezer and freezing vegetables after changing water filte

ihellman

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore Coldspot Elite side by side. After changing water filter a month ago, the vegetable bin started freezing vegetables. I noticed ice build up on top of the temp control level near the bottom bin in the refrigerator side. More recently I noticed water buildup on bottom of the freezer. When I remove it it just returns. So the major problem is continued freezing of vegetable bin and what seems to be increased suction of the refrigerator side. That is it seems that more air is being sucked out of the refrigerator than is blown in. Unlike many threads, the ice maker is fine.

What steps do I need to take to troubleshoot/diagnose the problem?
Do I need to defrost the freezer side? If so how do I do this properly?
Do I need to replace the water filter given that the replacement was the beginig of my problems.

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
So the major problem is continued freezing of vegetable bin and what seems to be increased suction of the refrigerator side. That is it seems that more air is being sucked out of the refrigerator than is blown in.

Can you explain why you think airflow is a problems you describe

Do I need to replace the water filter given that the replacement was the beginig of my problems.
No. The water filter has nothing to do with the problems you

Do I need to defrost the freezer side? If so how do I do this properly?

It could be that the ice on the freezer floor is caused by a blocked drain line. This means that every time the freezer goes into the self defrost mode the water run off from the evaporator has no where to go so it ends up flowing over onto the freezer floor. You need to take off the bottom panel, inside the freezer, in the back. Behind this panel is the evaporator #22
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...rtsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/P0203044-00011.png
Below this evaporator is a drain pan (trough) . If this pan is full of ice then the drain line is blocked. Remove the ice with a hair dryer (do not chop it out as you can puncture the pan). Once the ice is clear you will see a small hole in the center of the pan. This whole needs to be flushed out . I use a turkey baster. Fill it with hot water and shoot it into the hole until the drain line is clear and water flows down the hole freely.
After that use the hair dryer to remove any ice or snow that is built up on the evaporator itself and anywhere else you see ice use the hairdryer to remove it. NEVER CHOP the ice off. After clearing all the ice and clearing the drain line under the evaporator it would be nice if you could unplug the box for 24 hours to defrost any ice that is not visible to the naked eye, but I realize that is probably not possible. After that make sure all temperature controls are set MID RANGE (half way between coldest and warmest setting).

ihellman

Premium Member
One week later

Hey. Thank you for your feedback jackofalltrades regarding the freezing of my side by side drain. I proceeded to melt the ice, free up the drain, and lower the cold settings to midrange. The plug froze up within a day. It seems that the automatic defroster is on the blink or could it be the thermostat. Irving