• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PSB48YPHSV GE Profile Built-In Side by Side Freezer Fan Motor Assembly Question

aevk00t

Premium Member
Model Number
PSB48YPHSV
Brand
GE
I have a GE Profile 48" Built-In Side by Side that features two evaporators providing two separate cooling systems (one for the refrigerator and one for the freezer). Long story short I suspect the evaporator fan motor has died on the freezer side and would like to get it out to check it. I've disassembled everything from the inside of the freezer and have the evaporator assembly loose but starts to hang up as you try to pull down. Does anyone know if it in fact can be removed from the inside or is the correct procedure to get at it from the back side (meaning I would need to remove the unit from the wall)? Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

*I* have never changed one of these....but I found:

A copy:

Where is the freezer fan wr60x10176 located in GE Profile model # psb48y?
For Model Number psb48ys

Answer, Thanks for the question!!! It is located in the back of the freezer section behind the evaporator cover and above the evaporator.

ge-motor-fan-asm-wr60x10176-ap3796843_01_l.jpg
LINK> Motor fan assembly Freezer

jeff sr.

aevk00t

Premium Member
Appreciate the response however I understood where the fan was located I'm just not sure you can get at it from inside the freezer. It appears the plumbing going to the evaporator is causing the assembly to hang up as you try to pull down/remove the unit to get at the fan. I'm just worried about causing more problems and was hoping someone could confirm the proper procedure for removal.

jeff1

Staff member
*I* have never changed one of these....but I found:
It is located in the back of the freezer section behind the evaporator cover and above the evaporator

From what I read it appears to be accessible from inside.....but I could not confirm that....sorry!

jeff sr.

aevk00t

Premium Member
No worries again appreciated your response and decided to cautiously proceed. One thing that I should have mentioned is I’m doing all this with the plumbing to the condenser still connected. Regardless I was able to get the assembly down far enough so I could at least see the fan. At that point I decided to check and see if it in fact was dead before going any further. Glad I did as my original suspicion was wrong and it ran fine. I’m now guessing the evaporator must have been frozen solid preventing me from feeling any air flow thru the vents in the first place. Anyways I decided to put it all back together and see how it goes. It’s been back together and running for about six hours now and seems to be running as it should. Unfortunately if my latest thoughts are correct I have a bigger problem being the evaporator/defrost heater assembly probably needs replacing. I guess time will tell, either way I’m still not convinced you can get the complete evaporator assembly down far enough to remove the fan from the inside. That is unless you say “Any dummy knows you have to disconnect the plumbing to the condenser”. If that's the case I probably deserve it.

Thanks again for the input!

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update!

jeff sr.