PSC23MGMABB Cannot Decide to Fix or Buy New

Rickey

Premium Member
Model Number
PSC23MGMABB
Brand
GE
I read the fixes in forums to fix my side by side GE Profile Artica refrigerator which just "seems" to have a defrost problem. I do not mind investing about $100 to fix it, but if if needed a circuit or motherboard I think I would rather buy new.

Also, I am unsure if the circuit board controls it or if there is a separate defrost timer some where in the frigid? Anyone know?

Any comments appreciated. Right now, I am just periodically doing a manual defrost about every 3 weeks!
During the interim it works ok. It's actually 14 years old.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rickey,

On this model you have the motherboard.

You have 3 parts that control the auto defrost cycle, the motherboard, the evaporator thermistor, and the defrost heater.

So what we do is a process of elimination to determine the bad part. So you will want to unplug your refrigerator and test the defrost heater first, but don't defrost it yet before testing it because if the heater checks good then you will need to test the evaporator thermistor that's mounted on the top of your evaporator coil, and that needs to be covered in frost to test that.

Unplug the refrigerator first, then test the defrost heater first, take the wires off before testing. Watch the video below to test it, if that tests fine, then watch the video Shawn made to test your defrost thermistor. If both test fine, then your motherboard is the bad part.

Here's the evaporator thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Watch this video, Shawn explains how to test/replace the evaporator thermistor:

[video=youtube;7lxOqMjFtr4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxOqMjFtr4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WR51X10055

Here's the motherboard for your model:
Main Control Board WR55X10942P

Watch this video to ohm test your defrost heater:

[video=youtube;311BiD76iYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Let us know what you find if you decide to fix it.

Jake

Rickey

Premium Member
Jake, Thank you for your reply and expert instructions. I currently do not have a meter to test the heater, etc. I was hoping with the last defrost (which was the first time that I opened the back panel of freezer) that I might be able to catch the heater lighting up the freezer because I removed the freezer light bulbs. So far no luck. However, previously I opened the freezer and saw steam vapor. Would this indicate that the heater is still working?

Given your comments, my next step probably will be to wait awhile to do another defrost as a necessity. When this happens, I want to do a trial removal of heater and the defrost limiter thermostat part no. WR50X10068. I am not sure where to find the evaporator thermistor part no. WR55X10025. Is it buried in the freezer grill? Is this different from WR50X10068? Do I need to possibly replace both parts?

I am novice and never did any repair or replacement like this. What weighs heavily on my mind is the fact that my refrigerator is 14.5 years old. I keep reading that it has seen it's viable life span; so I am cautious. I guess that I am lucky that it still works after a manual defrost. Thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
However, previously I opened the freezer and saw steam vapor. Would this indicate that the heater is still working?
Not necessarily, you'd need to see the orange glow from the defrost heater.

Is this different from WR50X10068? Do I need to possibly replace both parts?
WR50X10068 is the defrost limiter, that part would not be the problem, that part only tells the defrost heater to shut down, not turn on.:)
WR55X10025 tells it to turn on while its frosty.

I am not sure where to find the evaporator thermistor part no. WR55X10025. Is it buried in the freezer grill?
Did you see the video I posted above? Watch the video, Shawn shows you where its located and how to test it.:)

14.5 years is about the average life of refrigerators now. But if you do buy a new refrigerator I recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana.

Jake

Rickey

Premium Member
Jake, Thank you again. Now that you explained and showed me the difference between the evaporator thermistor and defrost limiter parts, I replayed the video and I paid much more attention. I need to do the trial removal of the heater and identify both of the thermistors in my next defrost to get more comfortable for the job and to help me decide to fix or buy new. I definitely will not get side by side refrigerator and I am looking at Whirlpool Top Freezer that would be less complicated electronically. The only thing that I will miss, is the filtered water dispenser (we hardly use the ice maker.) I will let you know how my next trial job goes (probably in three week or so.), or if I decide to throw in the towel and buy new. You are a good man.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the less electronics the better.:)

Get the Whirlpool with the basic temperature control knobs, those are non-electronic and are much better.

Let us know how it goes with the GE.

Jake

Rickey

Premium Member
I wanted to update my Refrigerator Thread here to indicate how it was resolved. After going through the inconvenience of several monthly manual defrosts and considering the the age of my old SxS refrigerator plus the basic costs ($80-$340 est.) for electronic parts as outlined in this thread, I decided to buy a new Whirlpool Refrigerator Top Freezer model, and use the money I would have spent on trying to fix my old refrigerator with an Extended Warranty. The warranty for the new refrigerator will go for 6 years!

Jake, thanks for all your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Rickey.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake