• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PSC23MSTDSS GE fridge water tank springs a leak.

saltwaterjoys

Model Number
PSC23MSTDSS
Brand
GE
I own a GE side by side fridge (PSC23MSTDSS). I am about to replace my third water tank as they continue to spring a leak. The pin hole leak occurs along the plastic welded seam of the tank. The installation always goes well, water dispenser works fine for a period of time but then stops working because the water tank develops a pin hole leak which sprays water into the refrigerator. I can't figure out how this tank could freeze so any help you can offer would be great. Thanks,

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
saltwaterjoys said:
I am about to replace my third water tank as they continue to spring a leak. The pin hole leak occurs along the plastic welded seam of the tank.

A lot of refrigerator manufacturers used molded plastic water reservoirs at one time. Many fail the way you describe. Most now have just gone to a coil of tubing now in place of the molded plastic and even substitute older molded tanks to a tubing kit.

This is GE's tank replacement kit:

LINK > Replacement GE Reservoir Tubing Kit

saltwaterjoys said:
I can't figure out how this tank could freeze so any help you can offer would be great.

If the tank is mounted close to the bottom, if air flow stopped colder air could possibly remain in the lower part of the compartment making it cooler. I don't know how else it could occur without other food stuffs freezing too.

Maybe someone with experience with this problem specificly on GE fridges might also offer a suggestion?

Dan O.