• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PSCS5TGXCFSS GE climate controlled dual evaporator fridge , Fresh food side-no cooling

asat188

Model Number
PSCS5TGXCFSS
Brand
GE
GE climate controlled dual evaporator fridg , Fresh food side-no cooling

GE climate controlled dual evaporator model PSCS5TGXCFSS
Serial number VS400213
Symptoms:
Fresh food side-no cooling,
Freezer-cools but can't really get it below 30ish

Tests and observations:
Compressor and inverter:
J15 -5.5vdc, signal to inverter good
120 volts input to inverter good
Checked resistance at all 3 windings, and all were good, the same at 7.2
When checking amp draw at inverter and listening and feeling the compressor while plugging the refrigerator in... Sometimes it takes three or four tries to start the compressor where the amp draw goes to 0.75 and then stops , back to zero and then tries a few more times with the same result until it starts. Sometimes plugging in it starts right away with an amp draw of 1.25 initially and gradually settles down to around .88 after a minute or so.... Either way, when it is running, it can barely be detected by feel or sound but does get warm, not hot. It sounds and feels like it's running at a much reduced speed.. photo of compressor sticker attached

J2 plug at main control board for fans:
J2 3&8 supply voltage, 13.58 VDC-good
J2 3&4 freezer fan 6.5 VDC and running-good
J2 3&5 rear condenser fan, 13 VDC and running-good
J2 7&8 Express cooling fan( lower draw fan) 13.5 VDC when when Express cooling activated at control panel and running-good
**J2 6&8 fresh food evaporator fan not running and zero VDC with the door open or closed, BUT, when I leave the door open for 1 minute or so the fan kicks on and gives me 7.3 VDC, but if I shut the door, voltage goes to zero and fan turns off immediately.
When I activate turbo cool on the control panel, which I believe is supposed to activate both fans in the refrigerator, None of the fans turn on.

I removed both evaporator panels, refrigerator side not cool at all and no frosting.... Freezer side cool and slightly frosting up the left side as can be seen in photo
When I unplug the fridge and plug it back in after a minute or so I keep my hand on the Freon valve and it definitely feels like something's moving in there as well as I hear something(I read that would be normal and working)
Also, oddly when I press the button for actual temperatures, the readings are definitely a little off and sometimes after unplugging the refrigerator and plugging it back in I get zero degrees at the freezer and something roughly in the correct range on the refrigerator side....stays that way for anywhere from a half hour to 2 hours until it changes to somewhat normal readings but still not exactly what my thermometers are saying.
I ordered all new thermistors, going to change those out and see what happens, but if that doesn't work, I'm thinking either the main control board or the inverter, but hate throwing expensive parts at something if I'm not at least semi-confident, a friend who's pretty knowledgeable told me he thinks it's probably a Freon leak.
I could not find any documentation on how to enter diagnostic mode to see if there are any error codes that might possibly be helpful. If anyone can help with those instructions, that would be great!
Sorry if this was too long but trying to give as much diagnostic and observational information as I know you guys may ultimately ask for it. Many thanks in advance...all thoughts, help and suggestions is much appreciated!... If I think of anything else, will update
Happy and healthy New Year to all!
Adam

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 29

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
a friend who's pretty knowledgeable told me he thinks it's probably a Freon leak.
Your friend is on the right track, you have a sealed system problem, could be a leak, bad compressor, or restriction, I've seen this many times on my service calls.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

The evaporator coil should always look like the bottom photo below here:

Frost Patterns.jpg