PSS23MSWASS GE Refrigerator Temperature Problems

true

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS23MSWASS
Brand
GE
Hello,

I am trying to get my GE PSS23MSWASS fridge to function again. Here's a breakdown of what's happened:

In the past (over the course of several years), the turbocool feature worked intermittently. There were clicking noises, and the fridge was running loudly as well.
I had to replace the control board.
Had to manually defrost the freezer.
Turbocool eventually stopped working altogether (although the button still works, it doesn't turn on).

Over a week ago, both the freezer and refrigerator sides started warming up. The condenser fan wasn't running in the back, compressor was warm/hot. Even so, the temperature was being maintained at around 20 for the freezer, 40 for the fridge.
I ordered another control board, as well as a condenser fan.
2-3 days ago, the temperature shot up on both sides to approx. 50/50 degrees.
I attempted a software reset. Nothing.
Installed the main board and condenser motor. Condenser fan is running again.
Turbocool still doesn't turn on.
Compressor is no longer warm/hot, merely cool to the touch. (It's not turning on?)
I noticed that there's a lot of fluid on the bottom near the fan and compressor, along with brown spots in the liquid. There is a chemical smell in the kitchen now. (Refrigerant leak?)
Pulled off the start relay and overload. Shook each part for any rattling - none.
Tested each of the three prongs on the compressor for continuity (ground pressed to exposed metal section of tank). None.
Evaporator fan is running.

So, I'm worried that the compressor is leaking. However, I read that if there is a lack of refrigerant in the compressor, then it should be running all the time.
Or, could it be something else?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul

P.S. - I have a very narrow doorway, so we had to get this refrigerator into the kitchen through the window. I wouldn't want to repeat that, so if this fridge repair is a lost cause, are there any suggestions for a good, narrow refrigerator priced within reason?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Paul,

It sounds like you have 2 problems, one the compressor is not evening trying to start up anymore to run since its cool to the touch now, that would mostly be a motherboard problem.

The 2nd problem would be that liquid oily substance you found, that is most likely a freon leak.

Yes, I'd say its time to go refrigerator shopping. I don't know where you could buy a narrow refrigerator, you can search online at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, or any appliance stores in your area, they could possibly special order you a narrow one, take your dimensions with you when you go shopping in your local area.

Jake

true

Premium Member
Thank you for the advice, Jake. I appreciate the input.

-Paul