• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PSS26MSWCSS Evaporator Fan Constantly Cycling ON/OFF

snigey

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26MSWCSS
Brand
GE
My Refrigerator and freezer are running warm. It appears that the root of the problem (temperature wise) is the evaporator fan does not keep running. The fan turns on for ~ 2 seconds and off for 10 seconds. This occurs if the fridge has been plugged in and operating for while. If I unplug the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes to disassemble the freezer and reassemble - then the fan will run normally when I plug it back in. The fan will run continuously for a while in an attempt to get to temperature. Then after 30-40 minutes, the fan starts cycling again. Same 1-2 sec on/10 sec off pattern.

The compressor is running fine.
The condenser fan is running fine.
The thermistor voltages are in reasonable ranges and appear correct.
The thermistor supply voltage is 5 V, as it should be.
The fan motor voltage is ~ 13V with the fan running and with the fan off.
The motherboard has been replaced
The defrost heater heats up in test mode.
The front controller allows any test mode.

I have also replaced the following parts at this point with no changes:

replaced evaporator fan motor with the updated WR60X10307
replaced evaporator thermistor with the replacement WR55X10025
replaced motherboard with WR55X10942

The system gets cold enough to make frost on the freezer coil and it does not appear that the system is low on refrigerant. The evaporator coil does not seem to be totally iced in, just a light to moderate level of icing. Not really alarming. The bottom drawers in the fridge are freezing in addition to the cold water being frozen solid. If I run test 1-2, the compressor runs continuously but the evaporator fan continues its pattern of cycling. The only time the evaporator fan seems to run correctly is when I unplug for a while or manually defrost and plug the system back in. This works for less than an hour and then the cycling starts again.

I know the refrigerator and freezer temperature problems are related to the fan issue.

Anyone have any ideas? I am lost on this one.

Best Regards,
Alan from TN

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Alan,

Its either a bad evaporator fan motor or bad motherboard or a short in your wiring to the evaporator fan motor.

Then pull the machine away from the wall and remove the metal cover over the motherboard (just above the machine compartment). Locate the J2 connector.

Set your meter to measure DC volts and measure the CONSTANT voltage across J2-3 to J2-8 is fan motor supply voltage. Meter should indicate about 13 Volts DC. Evaporator fan motor is J2-3 to J2-4 should be about 8V - 13V.
(click to enlarge)
WR55X10942-2 (1).jpg

Here's the freezer(evaporator) fan motor for your model:
ge-mtr-dc-evap-wr60x10307-ap4438809_01_m.jpg

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.