• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PSS26NGPCCC Cleaning mold from Water Dispenser in GE Arctic Side-by-side

bz21

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26NGPCCC
Brand
GE
I have a GE Arctic Side-by-side, model number PSS26NGPCC with an in-door water/ice dispenser. There is black mold growing all around the ice chute opening, but it is way up behind the lever, so I cannot get to it.

I think I need to remove the dispenser to gain access but have not found good directions for doing this, so would appreciate some guidance.

Would also appreciate any other suggestions for the mold issue.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I posted the photos to access the dispenser in post#4 here: FIXED: GSS25LGMF GE refrigerator ice dispenser won't close

It may be molding due to a air leak, condensation thus making it mold. Get a flashlight and shine it down through your ice chute and see on the other side if you have light coming out from the ice dispenser door.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

bz21

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks very much for the perfect response. Was able to easily remove the panel and clean the entire area around the ice chute door. I tried the flashlight test, but no apparent air leak. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the mold comes back.

Thanks Again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, glad to help bz21.:)

Jake

SRhunts

Premium Member
Hi, Thanks for a great thread. I have the same issue of mold and was also trying to find out how to remove and clean it.
I seem to be getting a lot of condensation forming on the back wall of the panel in the last few weeks. Enough that we are getting about a tsp. of water a day in the drip tray.
Can you tell me why?
Does the panel just pop off by pulling at the bottom outward or do I need to push the little tabs in with a screw driver first? the video made it seem like you can just pull it outward.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

SRhunts

Premium Member
The model # is PSS25NGNA BB. I got it from the tag inside. Thank you for responding.
IMG_1298.jpgIMG_1299.jpgIMG_1300.jpgIMG_1301.jpgIMG_1302.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Thanks, good photos.

Looks like your ice door flapper is not keeping a tight seal and causing that condensation, that can either be caused by your solenoid going bad(rusty) or the door flapper seal itself is worn out.

Usually when either is bad its best to order both parts as they work together.

Here's the solenoid for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer Number WR62X10055

Watch this video:

<iframe id="yui-gen45" class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cf7iDY4LmK8?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0" width="640"></iframe>

Here's the door with seal for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer part number WR17X11653

Jake

SRhunts

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

I did do the flashlight test I read about here and had no light around the flap though. The water seems to be on the back panel and top side not dripping out of the flapper, maybe a little from the tube it's self, not so much a drip as water setting right at the end of the tube. Plus I do NOT have any frost build up on the inside of the freezer or door.

This may sound funny but last night I was thinking that maybe it is like our windows. See our heater has been out for a week 1/2 so it's been cold outside in the mid 30's at night and 58f in our house in the morning then warming up to 62f by the afternoon. This has caused the windows to become very foggy/wet, I have wiped the water away a couple of times from the windows. So I was thinking last night could this be the case with the refrigerator also. I wiped it down as we manually started the heater today and the house is warm now. I will keep an eye on it and see if that is what caused it.

But either way I learned how to take it apart to clean it. Thank You.

Do I just pop the control panel off at the bottom like in the video or use a screw driver in the tabs? If it is using a screw driver do I just pop them off the little tab carefully or push them up with the screw driver?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You just pop it off like in the video, now some GE models have 2 screws at the bottom of that panel, just look underneath and see if yours does, if so just loosen the screws then that panel should pull off at the bottom.

Yes, the coldness in your house may have caused it, just keep your eye on it now that you have heat.

Jake

SRhunts

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, where does it rust inside the counter weight tube?

I read here where someone sprayed theirs with wd 40. They said it fixed it. Did they mean they sprayed it in the counter weight tube.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes either inside the counterweight or on the solenoid itself. If the rust isn't that bad, then yes spray WD40 in the counterweight tube and on the counterweight itself.

Jake

SRhunts

Premium Member
Yes either inside the counterweight or on the solenoid itself. If the rust isn't that bad, then yes spray WD40 in the counterweight tube and on the counterweight itself.

Jake

Thank you, for all of your help.
Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Scott.

Jake

MNO

GE Profile ice/water dispenser

I am having the same problem with my Profile (model PSS25MGMBWW, serial TA 482800). This assembly looks a bit different than the Article. Is the process the same?

Best,
Melanie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dillanger

Premium Member
I have a GE profile artica and am having the same problem with mold growing all around the water dispenser. I followed the tips above, opened the water dispenser panel, and replaced both the air flapper and the solenoid. However, there is still condensation building up around the flapper which makes me think there is a continued air leak. I even tried replacing the spring around the flapper to see if that would add extra pressure but did not seem to change much.

It seems that condensation is building up most at the bottom of the air flapper (6 o'clock) although there is not an appreciable hole or gap that I could tell with the flashlight.

Is there something else we could try to fix the air leak so the mold doesn't come back?

Thanks

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What's the model number of your refrigerator? The model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

It looks like the crank is warped and the spring is bent, you possibly didn't install it right, or the warped crank bent it out of position.

Order these two parts below.

WR17X10706 Door Recess Crank

There is a HOW TO video in each part link to show you how to replace them both.

Here's the Door Recess Spring with a video to show you how it goes on:
WR02X10585 Door Recess Spring

Jake