• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PT925SN GE Profile built in - F9 Oven cleaning latch. How to bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Model Number
PT925SN
Brand
GE
Hey guys, I have a GE profile double oven (bottom convection) in-wall. I've been having the F9 code happen for a year now but usually I can just wiggle the latch around and slam the door a few times and get around it. Those days are over now, anything I do on either oven when gives me the F9 error after a minute of operation.
I've got it all out and apart -the locking mechanism works just fine, locks when it should and unlocks when I cancel the oven clean cycle. At this point I just want to bypass the whole thing because I dont even use the oven cleaning feature. How can I do that?
The motor for the latch has 2 wires coming out the bottom. Then the control switch has 4 posts, 2 which are common (yellow), then an NC and an NO (blue and orange). I think I can tie two of them together and be done with it but not having luck yet. Im also guessing I need to do the same on both the top and bottom mechanisms, because both cause the same F9 error.
Here are the wires...As you can see the yellow just comes from control board to the top post and then pigtails to the bottom post.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MKcDcy4JJPXPnhSZ8
Here is the whole control board and you can see both of the oven cleaner latch motors too
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7zJFGpLo5npYzGXh8

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
F9 refers to the cooling fan and sail switch
GE PE925 errors.jpg

Press & hold the upper Bake & Broil Pads until “SF”appears in the display. Then press & hold the #1 & #5 pads until “Product TEST”appears in the display. Press the "Help" pad.
Initially, the cooling fan should come on in low speed and the Sail switch will have an open status. Pressing the Help pad a second time will toggle the cooling fan into high speed causing the sail switch to have a closed status.

Snapshot_6.jpg

To clear the F code Press the Upper Cook Time & Upper Delay Start for three (3) seconds.

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Interesting, everything i'd seen thus far was pointing to the oven lock (and it seemed wiggling it would fix it).
I got it into service mode and pushing help makes a clicking noise and fan is on high, push and clicks again then fan SHOULD be low but its not on at all, then push help and it clicks again which I think is "off" so pushing helps goes high, low, off I think -but again in the low position no fan is on. When I turn the oven on, the high fan turns on.
The "clear the F code" didn't seem to work or do anything but not sure what that is referring to...When I turn the oven on any setting, either oven it'll be on for a short while then stops and f9 flashes and beeps until I click cancel. then the clock comes back on and its back to normal
Thanks!

rhwimmers

Premium Member
I found the sail switch - and with the back panel removed it always results in F9 because there is no suction to make the sail open (is what it's looking like). When I put the back panel back on it opens the sail when oven is on and everything appears to be working now...So maybe that sail was just stuck or something? I haven't done anything really so hesitant to put it back together (its not easy to remove)!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, is the fan working correctly now? It sounds like the fan not turning on to activate the sail switch was causing the F9.

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Yes, it is when I put the back panel back on... The fan has always worked when we turn the oven on. MAYBE it just needed to be taken apart and reassembled but thus far its been working on the floor of my kitchen - just dreading putting it back in and it stop working again since I didnt actuall fix/replace anything!

rickgburton

Staff member
I agree with you. The only thing that changed is the location of the machine. Sounds like an air flow issue. What do you think?

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Yeah perhaps, just not sure how... Also a bit concerned I dont think the "low" fan mode works in my previous reply speaking about the help button and changing from high to low to off...But I suppose if its not erroring I dont care, just still uncertain about putting it all back together heh!

rickgburton

Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is right on the money. LOL

Rick helped another person with this same problem and the new Fan Blower fixed it, Look here:

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
I got it all put back in and have done a couple cooks without issue. Today MID cook I got an F9, which has never happened before so that was "fun"! BUT just clicking clear and starting again and no issues again so yeah something is going to need replaced, you think I should start with the fan blower?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would if I was you.:)

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Well crap... Replaced the part and still getting f9!
I went into test mode and it seems to work as it should, press help once and fan goes on high, pulls the sail switch open. Push it again and that's low speed, the sail switch is about half open during this time and I can feel a low flow of air giving out the bottom, push it again and it's off a sail closes all the way.
If I turn the oven on, fan goes on high, pulls the gate open and stays open until f9 occurs. I can put my hand over the air grate to prevent it from opening... Same result, f9. So regardless if that's open or closed I get an f9.

rhwimmers

Premium Member
I am doing a continuity test with the sail assembly and getting mixed results. Seemed like I'd get a reading when opening the sail and not when it was closed. I removed the whole assembly out for easier testing and now I get nothing no matter what... So, maybe I'll try a new sail assembly now?

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Any other ideas for me? Anyone know the part number for the sail assembly or if that's even what it's called or if that's the next logical thing to replace?

rickgburton

Staff member
The sail switch is operated by the airflow of the cooling fan. When the cooling fan is in high speed, the sail should be closed. When the cooling fan is off, the sail should be open.
When the cooling fan is on low speed, the switch may be open or closed and the control ignores the output of the micro switch. The part number for the sail switch is # WB24T10157. Everywhere I check it's no longer available.

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Do you think that's the part that is bad or the next thing I should try to replace? It appears to operate as it should based on the fan turning on or off

rickgburton

Staff member

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Getting this back towards the top of the honey do list... So when I am in test mode and I go through the 3 speed tests the fan being on is what causes the pressure to push or pull that little metal "sail". It is indeed getting pulled all the way open on high and when theres no fan on it has no air pressure so then closes.
So it seems to be operational but we still get the F9 all the time so trying to determine if I should go ahead and replace the sail switch?

Looks like I can get it from sears searspartsdirect.com/product/2nrr1k4371-0022-364/id-wb24t10157

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.