• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PT956SM1SS GE Double Oven - Random shut off

mike.stasko@gmail.com

Premium Member
Model Number
PT956SM1SS
Brand
GE
GE Double Oven Profile brand - PT956SM1SS

Oven has worked fine until recently.

When baking the lower oven will turn off randomly - the clock is not effected or timer (if set) is still counting down but the oven is off. It is as if someone pressed the "clear/off" button.
We can turn the oven back on without issue but again within a few mins, 10 or so it will turn off again. Does not matter if the oven is at the set temp. or not. It just turns off. The temp. that we have experienced this ranges from 300-475 degrees.

Running a test now at only 200 to see what happens and also running a test with the upper oven to see what happens.

I read somewhere that it might be a problem with the glass touch panel that you press to control the oven..?.? But that was for a different model unsure if it applies here.

Also no F-code is displayed when it turns off.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

How did your test run with the upper oven? Is it doing the same as the lower oven?

So if you set the lower oven on 350 degrees it will heat to 350 degrees, then the heat won't cycle on again? 350 degrees just starts dropping and the lower oven never cycles the heat back on to maintain 350 degrees?

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is your tech sheet.

Attachments

• 31-14559 GE PT956SM1SS Mini Manual.pdf
    466.9 KB · Views: 139

mike.stasko@gmail.com

Premium Member
Thanks. My tests passed earlier this month..... but see below for the ultimate test result..

Lower Oven: 20 mins at 300, then 20 mins at 350, 20 mins at 450.
Upper oven: same order no issue.

The ran both at 450 for 30mins.. and no issue.

Not sure why it decided to work this time but it provided a confidence boost for thanksgiving....

Thanksgiving.. two turkeys so both ovens were in operation...

1st hour fine.
2Nd hour the lower oven shuts down, able to turn back on fine.
3rd hour the top oven shuts down, dreaded F9 code, and locks but I was able to get the bird out in time. Stop using the top oven.
4th hour the lower oven shuts down at least two more times but able to restart.

Also noticed that the upper oven temp was way off, at least 100 degrees lower than the lower oven, bird way under cooked compared to bird in lower oven.
(We had a sensor replaced already. Few years ago when we 1st encountered the F9 issue)

My next thought is that maybe the fan for the control board is not working properly... I did notice that the areas to the left and right of the control display were hot, very hot, too hot to touch, while cooking the turkeys. Ma address the shutdowns but not the temp. Issue of upper oven.

The other thing we are starting to contemplate is getting a new oven. The voodo cycle of issues is really starting to be a PIA. Any brand / model recommendations?

mike.stasko@gmail.com

Premium Member
Just pulled the code based on the spec sheet instructions, above, and have an F5 for the lower over.

“Sensor circuit supervisor failure” fix. replace control.

My question, which control? The control board or a sensor?