• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PT970DR2BB Oven/Microwave Combo F9 Error

Happy in VT

Premium Member
Model Number
PT970DR2BB
Brand
GE
Hi everyone,
My neighbor has the built-in oven/microwave combo and gets the F9 error every time she has tried to use the self-cleaning function for the past several months. She now says that it is clicking when they are near it. I have read other threads for GE Profile ovens that this is a fairly common problem, but I am not sure where to check for a failed/failing part. I have fixed my washing machine and dryer by replacing the control boards, but I'm not sure if it would be the control board or something else.

When they run the cleaning cycle the door does lock, but the oven never gets hot enough to actually clean before the F9 code happens. If I had a schematic of the wiring of the unit (or at least some instruction on what and where to check for voltage/resistance I would be able to help her figure out what is wrong and hopefully fix it for her.

Any help/advice that can be provided would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim,

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
F9 is a sail switch error. I have a tech sheet for a similar model. Try this; Press & hold the upper Bake & Broil Pads until “SF”appears in the display.

Then press and hold the 1 and 5 pads until "Product Test" appears in the display.

To Check Status of Sail Switch: While in service mode, press the Help pad.

Initially, the cooling fan should come on in low speed and the Sail switch will have an open status.
Snapshot_1.jpg

Pressing the Help pad a second time will toggle the cooling fan into high speed causing the sail switch to have a closed status.
Snapshot_2.jpg

Happy in VT

Premium Member
F9 is a sail switch error. I have a tech sheet for a similar model. Try this; Press & hold the upper Bake & Broil Pads until “SF”appears in the display.

Then press and hold the 1 and 5 pads until "Product Test" appears in the display.

To Check Status of Sail Switch: While in service mode, press the Help pad.

Initially, the cooling fan should come on in low speed and the Sail switch will have an open status.
View attachment 45990

Pressing the Help pad a second time will toggle the cooling fan into high speed causing the sail switch to have a closed status.
View attachment 45991
I did some testing before I saw your reply. I was able to plug in my meter into the connector for the squirrel cage fan at the back on top of the oven. I'm pretty sure this is used to keep the controls cool during oven operation. When I turned on the cleaning cycle the voltage went up to 120v, but when I plugged it back into the fan the fan did not turn on. This leads be to believe that the fan is dead. Does that sound reasonable to you?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Happy in VT

Premium Member
Perfect! I will let her know this evening and get it ordered. It looks like it should be a fairly straight-forward fix. I appreciate your help.

Happy in VT

Premium Member
So I was able to get the new fan installed. I also installed a new thermal limit switch/fuse just as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. I did end up pulling the whole thing out of the wall and putting in on the floor. It was just easier than trying to be a contortionist and getting in behind it with it still half in. It fixed the problem and she is very happy now.