PTB1830ARW Maytag Performa Fridge Constantly Running

zmon

Model Number
PTB1830ARW
Brand
Maytag
Model #PTB1830ARW

The fridge runs constantly and builds up a lot of condensation. It drips from the ceiling of the fridge. The temperature only gets to about 43 F. The freezer seems to be fine. Turning the thermostat control does not change anything.

Any help in this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Nothing comes up for either one of those model numbers. However PTB1830ARW does come up. I'll assume that's the correct model number. Make sure the coils under the machine are clean. While the machine is plugged in and running, check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. You want to see a very light coat of white frost on all the coils, top to bottom. No snow or ice should be on the coils. If you take a picture or two I'll be happy to look at it.

zmon

Thanks for helping me out Rick.

Sorry I botched the model number...

Lots of ice built up on the bottom of the condenser coils at the back of the freezer.

zmon

Here is a picture after it had been sitting off for a few hours.

I also left it off all night to defrost and took the last chunk of that ice out this morning.

As it defrosted all the water leaked out of the bottom of the fridge on to the floor. Not sure if that means anything...

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
zmon said:
.....after it had been sitting off for a few hours.
After you get it reassembled with the evaporator cover installed, set the controls to the factory settings and restore power. After the machine has been plugged in and running for longer than 24 hours, leave it plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern.