• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PTB2153GR Maytag "Performa" Top-Freezer Refrigerator no longer makes ice, and ice cream will not freeze in the freezer

WRSmith

Premium Member
Model Number
PTB2153GR
Brand
Maytag
Note: I do not know how old my fridge is -- I am guessing it is about 10 or more years old. That is just a guess.

This unit will no longer make ice, and ice cream will not freeze in in the freezer.

I have read of no less then eight to ten possible reasons why this is going on.

I cleaned out the compressor area in the back of the unit. That did nothing. I noticed today, however, that there was a small puddle of water at the front left corner of the unit. I do not know if I caused a leak somehow in moving the refrigerator away from the wall and pushing it back into place. I doubt it. There is zero evidence of leaking water behind the unit.

I keep seeing advice that I should take a hair dryer to the condenser coils, check the defrost heating element, and other gadgetry associated with that. I am guessing this stuff is located behind the rear panel of the freezer.

It looks like a pain in the butt to take out the ice maker, so I do not want to mess with all that unless the coils are, in fact, to be found behind the rear panel of the freezer.

Is there anywhere online where a guy can get a copy of a repair manual for the model that I have? Different units are configured so differently that most online resources are useless, unless you get lucky and find something on the exact same unit.

Frustrating.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, remove the back lower access panel and put your hand on the top of the compressor(big black ball shaped part) and see if its warm and running, and also make sure your condenser fan that mounts next to it is running too.

The evaporator coil in the freezer is behind that back panel, does that back panel have frost build-up on it? Is the freezer(evaporator fan running)?

Jake

WRSmith

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for your reply. The compressor appears to be working, but I will double-check that and the compressor fan also.

The back panel has no frost build-up that I can see or feel. There appears to be a light coating of condensed water on the back panel, but nothing more. Food items in the freezer (meats) and ice remain frozen -- the unit simply is not getting cold enough.

Thanks again.

WR Smith

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, double check your compressor and condenser fan motor and keep us posted.

Jake

WRSmith

Premium Member
The compressor is in good working order and the condenser fan is working just fine.

I still think something is screwed in the coils and such. Unless there is another quick option to check out, the next item on my list is to take that back panel apart and see what gives.

Thanks for your input -- I appreciate it.

WR Smith

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes WR Smith, take everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel in the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil so we can see the frost pattern of it. Normal would be a thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom.

The ice maker is easy to take out, click the part link below to your ice maker and you will see a video on how to remove and replace it.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
D7824706Q Replacement Icemaker

Jake

WRSmith

Premium Member
Jake,

Much obliged. I will let you know what I find, and I hope this exercise will help others who have the same kinda problem.

WR