• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PVM9179DF3BB GE Profile microwave removing handle

trifive

Premium Member
Model Number
PVM9179DF3BB
Brand
GE
The GE Profile #PVM9179DF3BB microwave I have has cracks on the face of the handle. I see there is a replacement handle cover which, according to the schematics, should just pop off. Of course this does not happen. After carefully prying and pulling the cover won't budge. Replacing the whole handle is about the same price as he cover. I carefully pried the plastic trim piece from the inside of the door to access the screws to remove the handle (the trim piece broke in half by the way). There are no screws visible to remove the handle.

Is there some special way to remove the handle on this particular model.

Thanks for any help/advice given

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
First remove the choke cover. Start in the corner by the door hinge and work your way around using a small screwdriver to unsnap it. Set it aside Disconnect the door latch spring. (You might need to remove the latch) . Then remove the choke (3 screws). Remove the two door handle screws and the handle comes off.

PVM917.jpg

trifive

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. So I removed the choke cover, the latch and spring and the 3 screws holding the choke on. The choke won't move at all....is there something else that needs removed or tabs that need to be pushed in to release the choke?

thanks

trifive

Premium Member
I did look closely with a flashlight and only see the 3 screws. Not sure what else is holding it but it definitely won't budge.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Can you take a few pics and post them here. I'm probably missing something simple but I don't have a service manual for that model and I haven't been able to locate one.

trifive

Premium Member
I actually found this link on youtube that I believe shows what I need to do to get the choke off.

I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

trifive

Premium Member
I was wondering if you or anyone on this site might know of a place that I might be able to find the choke cover. I would like to replace it since it cracked when I took it off but it looks like that part has been discontinued.

thanks again