• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PVM9179SF1SS GE Microwave - PCB board wiring

Pvm9179

Premium Member
Model Number
PVM9179SF1SS
Brand
GE
Just wanted to ask if this was correctly oriented wiring for relays 11 (blue) and 2(white) with finger tabs facing towards the control panel ribbon and phone camera? This is the PCB board WB27X10866 for PVM9179SF1SS. Microwave cut off in the middle of defrosting a chicken breast. Replaced the PCB board after seeing dim star display and hearing a crackling noise from its low voltage transformer. New one installed with wiring oriented as shown in photo. Microwave worked again for general cooking tasks for a couple of days; but immediately cut off when defrost was hit and set for 5 minutes...

Attachments

Pvm9179

Premium Member
Also the finger tabs are the little ledges on the blue and white leads. Hopefully they are facing the right way....I'm guessing the line fuse blew out?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
... worked again for general cooking tasks for a couple of days; but immediately cut off when defrost was hit and set for 5 minutes...
In this case the defrost would be considered a general cooking task. The same cooking cycle circuit is used for both with the difference being the control board interrupts the power to the HV transformer for longer periods. In other words if it worked ok on other general cooking tasks, the relays are wired correctly. It sounds like a door switch is bad or the latch bracket is out of adjustment. Remove power from the machine and check the door switches for continuity by opening and closing the door. Check the monitor switch. Also called a dead man switch, it's purpose is to short L1 and N to keep the microwave from operating with the door open.
C- micro door switch and brkt.jpg

Pvm9179

Premium Member
Cool!..I actually got a new line fuse in and I'm back to square one. The new pcb is completely dead now and its low voltage transformer was warm to the touch. I put the old PCB back in and it still shows a dim display non responsive to touch....When the Microwave had the new PCB board, it cut off accordingly whenever the door opened....interrupting the cooking....during the two days before I tried to defrost again...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The new pcb is completely dead now and its low voltage transformer was warm to the touch.
Sounds like the board is bad. Where did you get it? Can you exchange it for a replacement?

Pvm9179

Premium Member
The replacement blew after two days of normal use...Everything was fine until I used the Defrost setting....Whereas the last time it was used, before the issue arised, it cut off in the middle of cooking, it cut off immediately after I hit the defrost by weight selection!!! Thats when I added in a new line fuse, only to discover that this PCB got blown too...The blue low voltage transformer on the back at the bottom of the PCB board felt warm to the touch like the last PCB board that got blown!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Rick, either your getting these boards FROM NON APPLIANCE PARTS STORES FOR CHEAP, or you have extremely bad luck. LOL

Jake