• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED PVM9195SF1SS Runs but not heating; strong "electric" smell

ARB

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
9
Location
Connecticut
Model Number
PVM9195SF1SS
Brand
GE
Age
1-5 years
Hi all,

Thanks to all the great info on this forum, I'll soon be diving into my microwave to troubleshoot and (hopefully) repair it. I'm hoping that the failed component will be immediately evident upon visible inspection, but in case I need to start testing individual components, I thought I'd share with you the symptoms and hopefully narrow things down.

This is a 4-year-old, above-range GE microwave, and I believe the problem was caused by the door being slammed closed very hard. (Don't ask.) I mention this because I thought this by itself might help point to the problem... (What components are most likely to fail due to the physical shock of a slammed door?) Anyway, here are the symptoms I'm experiencing:

-- All lights work, range vent/blower works, microwave seems (at first) to run fine... Carousel turns and microwave sounds "mostly" normal.

-- I say "mostly" because it does make some intermittent crackling sounds

-- After about 15 seconds, a strong "burnt electrical" smell starts coming out

-- Finally, the food is not getting hot


I'd really appreciate knowing what component(s) are most likely to cause these symptoms. Thanks!

Allen
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,700
Location
Ontario, Canada

ARB

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
9
Location
Connecticut
Thanks Jeff. So what I'm hearing is:

1. Test to see if high voltage is being created
2. Test the magnitron
3. Test the HV diode

Thanks!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,700
Location
Ontario, Canada
1. Test to see if high voltage is being created
Yes.
If it is but no cooking is happening the mag is bad and nowadays we are starting to always change the mag and diode at the same time.

jeff.
 

ARB

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
9
Location
Connecticut
Got it, thanks again Jeff. Let me ask, just out of curiosity: are magnetrons susceptible to failure due to physical shock (i.e. the microwave door being slammed)?
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,700
Location
Ontario, Canada
No not normally.

jeff.
 

ARB

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
9
Location
Connecticut
OK, making progress...

After visual inspection and then testing all the HV components and everything checking out fine, I decided to just turn the thing on and look for smoke... (I guess I should have done that in the first place!) Anyway, it's the HV transformer.

One more question: The transformer is a Samsung SHV-U1870C. In doing some research, I see that this transformer is used across multiple brands. Can you tell me if it is the exact same from one brand to another? In other words, will a Samsung SHV-U1870C for a Kenmore be the exact same size and have the same connectors as a Samsung SHV-U1870C for a GE?

Thanks again!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,700
Location
Ontario, Canada
Not overly common for the HV transformer to let go...but when they do the show can be spectacular.

High-Voltage-Transformer-WB27X10910--01721385.jpg High voltage transformer

Can you tell me if it is the exact same from one brand to another?
Some probably are, most will not be.
I know of no source for telling us what are the same.

jeff.
 

ARB

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
9
Location
Connecticut
Not overly common for the HV transformer to et go...but when they do the show can be spectacular.
LOL... Not sure that it was much of a spectacle, but the smell was pretty bad! :)

Thanks for your reply... I think I'm going to take a chance on the "Kenmore" transformer, as I'm able to pick one up for half the price of the "GE"... Since the items seem identical in every detail including the OEM and OEM part number, it seems unlikely that there'd be any difference... I'll let you know how I make out.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,700
Location
Ontario, Canada
Double check the mounting holes also, many are often in different locations.

jeff.
 

ARB

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
9
Location
Connecticut
The results are in: I received and installed the transformer and it fit and worked perfectly in my GE microwave. Problem solved.

Thanks again for all your help!!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,700
Location
Ontario, Canada
Thankx for the update.

jeff.
 
Top