• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED PVM9215SF1SS GE Over the Range Microwave Not Heating

Punda Smith

Premium Member
Model Number
PVM9215SF1SS
Brand
GE
Hello,

I bought my GE Profile Over the Range Microwave (Model#: PVM9215SF1SS & Serial#: DD207526B) around June 2014, and had it installed.

Recently, I realized that the microwave is not working:
-- the buttons light up when you press them
-- the light comes on in the microwave when you start it
-- the timer count-down works when you start it, as if it is actually heating something up.

BUT the problem is that: it does not heat anything up. It plate does not even turn around. only the light comes on.

Any possible ideas regarding what might be wrong ?

thanks - Punda

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A copy:

Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on, but nothing is heating and the fan is not running.

A - This most commonly is a bad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power smart board, but a bad door switch is most common.

If needed:

Micro-Switch-WB24X829--00613372.jpg LINK> Door switch

No pic LINK> GE Microwave Pcb main asm

Some access helps...

[video=youtube;czZHdMB5eEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czZHdMB5eEU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

jeff.

Punda Smith

Premium Member
jeff, thanks very much for your response. It's been a while. I finally received the switched, replaced it, but the problem is still there. So, any other thoughts ?

/thanks - PS.

BTW... I noticed you are in Ontario, Canada, where?

I used to there -- first, Kingston (@ Queens) and then Toronto (UofT) before moving to the States

jeff1

Staff member
I finally received the switched, replaced it, but the problem is still there.
Did the switch test as being bad?
Which one did you replace?
Are the switches opening and closing ok when the door opens and closes?
Door keys hitting the switch correctly?

I noticed you are in Ontario, Canada, where?
No where near the Argos!

jeff.

Punda Smith

Premium Member
Actually, I didn't test the switch - maybe I should. With what ?

But the switches are closing ok when the door opens/closes.
I only replaced the top switch.

Do I also have to replace any fuse?

thanks - PS

Punda Smith

Premium Member
thanks again, I used a digital multimeter and checked the part - it did have continuity. through a process of elimination, I realized that the bottom switch was faulty, so I replaced it, and the microwave is now working.

Thanks very much.

But another question, how do I get the 2 replacement screws that hold the LCD to the microwave frame ? -- I want to have them handy just in case, because I might have stripped them in the process of repeatedly tracing the faulty switch.

thanks - PS.

jeff1

Staff member
I used a digital multimeter and checked the part - it did have continuity. through a process of elimination, I realized that the bottom switch was faulty
Good catch, a quick continuity check can help show what is good or bad for sure.

But another question, how do I get the 2 replacement screws that hold the LCD to the microwave frame ?
The parts breakdown doesn't show any screws....I'd take what you have to local hardware store and see if you can get a couple of extra ones.

jeff.