• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PYE22KSKESS GE Profile French Door Freezer Too Cold

waffens

Premium Member
Model Number
PYE22KSKESS
Brand
GE
Freezer was about 25-35F. Took the freezer evaporator compartment apart and the coil was frozen solid. Thawed it out and put freezer back together. Set refrigerator temperature to 37F and freezer temperature to 0F.

Today, refrigerator was at 37F (the setpoint) and floor of the freezer was -20F (using infrared gun). Thermistor clamped to evaporator refrigerant line seems to be in the ballpark (11.9 kOhms @ 42F and 16.3 kOhms at 30F). Also verified that I have continuity through the defrost bimetal switch and the defrost heater.

Any thoughts on what to check next?

TIA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a freezer thermistor separate from the evaporator thermistor. That one should also read about 16.3k ohms at 32 degrees.

Its #508 here:
PYE22KSKESS.jpg

All the thermistors use the exact same part number:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Jake

waffens

Premium Member
OK, thanks. Is this it?

This is at the left side of the roof of the freezer compartment. Looks like the same white wires as the other thermistor, but I can't actually see the thermistor itself. Resistance reads 0.97 kOhms, which is probably lower than it should be (read about 20 minutes after shutting the fridge down)?

Assuming this is the thermistor, how do I get to it? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

BTW, the freezer was in the range of 0-10F this morning, which is about where it should be. But I'm assuming it'll freeze up again. The drain is frozen right now after running a couple days. I realize that's a recurring problem with these, but I wouldn't think it would freeze up that fast.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 41

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that doesn't look like it, look behind the plastic cover on the side of the freezer wall.

I marked it with a RED ARROW:

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 45

waffens

Premium Member
Behind that cover is a plug for an ice maker. But I did find a thermistor behind a grille on the opposite wall.

Do you know where I can get at the leads for that one to check it? At the motherboard? Otherwise I'd have to cut the wires to test it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
For the Freezer Thermistor--->On the main control board(which is located on the back exterior wall of your refrigerator)--->J10-1 TAN WIRE to J10-2 BLUE WIRE.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Jake

Attachments

• 31-51901 GE PYE22PSHFSS Refrigerator Mini Manual.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 45

waffens

Premium Member
OK, so that thermistor is giving me 15.6 kOhms in an ice bath. So just a tad off, but shouldn't be enough to make a difference. Probably my cheap multimeter anyway.

Other ideas? Freezer seems to be holding setpoint, but I still don't know why it froze up.

By the way, thanks so much for your help, and for the tech sheet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You'll just need to keep your eye on it, if it gets way too cold again, ohm test it again at that exact time, this might be a intermittent problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, please keep all posts for your machine in this thread only, thanks!

Jake

waffens

Premium Member
OK, sorry about that. Here is what I posted in the other thread.

Freezer evap. defrost heater doesn't seem to be working.

I have continuity through the heater and the bi-metal thermostat, and about 31 ohms resistance, so that seems OK.

Heater does not come on when I turn on defrost through the diagnostic menu (test number 93 or 60). If I unplug the connector with the heater/thermostat on it from the plug in the evaporator compartment and check the wires feeding the heater circuit, I get no voltage when I run test 60. I'm guessing I should, unless unplugging the connector would cause the main board not to turn on the power.

I assume the main board must be bad, but it would be nice to have some confirmation before I order a new one. Anything else I should check to confirm?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the problem is the main control board then. The confirmation would be through process of elimination, if the defrost heater and defrost evaporator thermistor ohm test good, the only part left that can cause this is the main control board.

Here's the main control board for your model:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.