• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PYE2300AYW Maytag Performa dryer won't shut off at end of cycle

Davidq

Premium Member
Model Number
PYE2300AYW
Brand
Maytag
Maytag Performa Dryer PYE2300AYW continues to run after cycle ends. It will continue on into the next cycle. During heated dry, it heats fine and cools down during cool down. I have to open the door to shut down. I replaced the capacitor located up near the heating element which had burned out I assume because the dryer overheated from not shutting down, I could be wrong. I tried replacing the timer to no avail. The new timer still would not shut off at end of cycle. I have had the drum out and inspected for damaged wires. I have tested the push button door switch on my multimeter, it reads in working order.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Will the dryer start right up when set without even having to push the knob to start it?

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The timer (behind the knob) has fused internal contacts and is defective. It needs to be replaced.

LINK > Maytag PYE2300AYW Timer

Dan O.

Davidq

Premium Member
I already replaced the timer with a new one. The new timer assembly did the same thing. I returned that part and had some trouble getting reimbursed.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't see anything else that could cause your stated symptoms. Power to the motor goes through the timer. It controls when the motor gets power to run.

I'm sorry but I don't have any other suggestions.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Davidq said:
It is possible that the part I returned was defective.

I have no idea where you bought it nor what condition it was in at the time of the sale. Brand new components can occasionally be defective right out of the box. It doesn't happen often but does occasionally. It would be pretty unusual for a "new" (ie. un-used) component to be defective in exactly the same way the original one had failed. If it was a used part, maybe that function is a weak point in its design and a common to failure point.

Davidq said:
What is your return policy?

This web site, nor myself, sell anything. We try to link to trusted merchants that support this web site. The company I liked to offers a 365 day warranty. You can return unused parts or they will replace any part they sold that becomes defective within 365 days. They will not refund an electrical part once installed, only replace it during the length of their warranty period should it become defective. That is the usual industry warranty.

As I said, I don't see anything else it could be besides the timer. That dryer model is a pretty simple design.

Dan O.