PZS25KSECFSS GE Profile fridge still won't stay at set temp. What could be wrong?

mopo

Premium Member
Model Number
PZS25KSECFSS
Brand
GE
Replaced a few parts and GE Profile fridge still won't stay at set temp. What could be wrong?

First time posting and hope that I can get some help. I have a GE Profile Series Side-by-Side refrigerator (model PZS25KSECFSS) that I have set at 0/37 (sometimes lower than that, too) and the freezer and refrigerator portion does not stay at the set temp. It doesn't creep up too high, but right now it is at 4 (freezer) and 40 (refrigerator) on the actual temp and it is set to be at -2/34. I have cleaned/vacuumed in the back around the coils, replaced the defrost heater, replaced the refrigerator defrost thermostat (connected to the freezer coils) and replaced the refrigerator temperature sensor (connected to the freezer coils in the freezer section as well). I hear the fan going (and shutting off) when I open the refrigerator door and there is no major build up of frost on the freezer coils. The door gaskets on both door looks just fine. Is there something I am completely missing? I am hoping to get this fixed on my own if possible just to save some money right now but I'm in 90 bucks and haven't seem to fix it correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
replaced the defrost heater, replaced the refrigerator defrost thermostat (connected to the freezer coils) and replaced the refrigerator temperature sensor
I've seen this many times on this site and other sites, when someone has a cooling issue the first thing they do is replace the defrost thermostat and/or heater. I don't know why...lol. When there's not a defrost problem, replacing the defrost components is fruitless. Save your old parts for spares.

does not stay at the set temp.... 4 (freezer) and 40 (refrigerator) on the actual temp....
There's a few factors that come into play here, like where are you measuring the temps and what are you using to measure the temps? Your refrigerator uses two evaporators, one for the refrigerator and one for the freezer. This provides two separate cooling systems, and separates the air flow between the fresh food and freezer compartments during normal cooling operations. When I measure the temps in a compartment I use an Infrared laser gun. I usually shoot the top middle and bottom and get three separate temps that will vary between 1°-3°F but can vary as much as 8°F-10°F. This is from the tech GE sheet:
GE air flow.jpg

That being said, the main board uses the inputs from the thermistors to operate all the electronic components. Unplug the machine. Access the main board on the back of the machine. Remove the J1 connector from the board and measure the resistance of the thermistors in the connector. The thermistor is a variable resistor that changes value with temperature change. You need a fairly accurate temperature measurement of the thermistor to know what the resistance should be. The most accurate way to do this is by placing the thermistor in a small glass of crushed ice and a small amount of water. This will bing the temperature of the thermistor to 32°F. At 32°F the thermistor should have 16.3KΩ's. At 4°F- 37.5KΩ's. At 40°F- 13KΩ's. Here's the pinouts for the board:
GEMB-17 WR55X10956.jpg

mopo

Premium Member
Ok great. So it could be a problem with the main board? Or just a problem with the refrigerator thermistor? I replaced the freezer thermistor that connects to the freezer evaporator so that is brand new. Maybe I just need a new refrigerator thermistor that is located in the refrigerator compartment?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
.... So it could be a problem with the main board? Or just a problem with the refrigerator thermistor?
Yes, it could be the main board. or the ref thermistor, or the ambient thermistor, or the freezer thermistor. You replaced the evaporator thermistor.

Maybe I just need a new refrigerator thermistor...

Maybe, that's why I explained how to check them.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's those parts for your model in case you or others with your same model need them.

Here's the motherboard for your model:
WR55X10956 Main Control Board

Here's the thermistor for your model(all thermitors for this model use this same part number):
WR55X10025 Temperature Sensor

Jake