• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Quasar - How to check magnetron

ME2

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
34
Location
Tennessee
Model Number
MQS1108W
Brand
Age
More than 10 years
Have an old Quasar microwave that will not heat. Assume problem is the magnetron but not sure.

Since I just want it for drying small chunks of wood prior to turning on a lathe, do not want to take to appliance store to find out for sure what is wrong...not worth the cost. Is there a simple means to determine if magnetron is bad? If so, I can order the tube if available here and replace if it is not too difficult to do...i.e., no tools required that are specific to a microwave unit.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
36,957
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
See if you can read the filament with an ohmmeter. It should read closed or 00.
 

ME2

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
34
Location
Tennessee
Filament reads about .1 ohm, but filament to ground is also about 1 ohm but should be infinite....tube is shorted (fried and baked). PN from tube is Panasonic, 2M210-M1, and second line C08- 08292 V. Where do I post to get price shipping etc? Say hi to Jake...hope all is well.
 

JBall

New member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
54
Location
Nashville, Tn
I had a customer who used his microwave to dry his "herbs". The microwave caught on fire!!! As we all know, microwaves only work on moisture, i.e, water in the food. If you are drying wood in the micro, first, there is little moisture to begin with, and you are trying to remove the only thing the microwaves will react with... end result is magnetron failure. I'd use the oven at a low temp.. Just sayin'. JB
 
Top