Question about "service test mode"

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
KRFC300ESS KitchenAid Refrigerator

Please see the attached tech sheet for my refrigerator. On page 3 are instructions for entering "service test mode". At the top of the right-hand column is:

Service Test - 101 Defrost Heater & Defrost Circuit
Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ keypad and Refrigerator DOWN /- keypad to energize or de-energize the Defrost circuit. The display will read OFF when de-energized, OP
when energized with open defrost thermostat and CL when energized with closed defrost thermostat.

My question: if I de-energize the defrost circuit as described here, will it stay de-energized when I exit "service test mode", or will it return to normal operation ?

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
it will return to normal operation. There is no way to override the control to permanently disable the defrost. Normally there would never be a need to do such a thing.

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
it will return to normal operation. There is no way to override the control to permanently disable the defrost. Normally there would never be a need to do such a thing.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Yeah, normally not; my purpose was to limit peak power consumption during power outages.

The idea of staying in "service test mode" doesn't work, since opening and closing the door exits that mode. I suppose that could be over-ridden by blocking the door sensors (3 of them), but that gets into the troubled waters of hardware mods. And there could be other bad side effects of remaining in that mode.

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
Any idea what the component labeled "defrost terminator" (in the schematic linked to my OP) does ? Kinda like a thermostat ?

Any idea where the fuse (for the defrost heater) is physically located ?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Rusty said:
Any idea what the component labeled "defrost terminator" does ? Kinda like a thermostat ?
It's full name is defrost limit thermostat. It opens the electrical circuit to the heater once a set temperature is reached, signalling fully defrosted.

I don't see one listed in that model's parts list. It should look something like the following link and be attached directly onto the evaporator coil.

LINK > Example of a Defrost Limit Thermostat

Rusty said:
Any idea where the fuse (for the defrost heater) is physically located ?

It isn't shown as a separate component. It might be in-line with the wiring to the defrost heater. Look for a bulge in the wiring leading to the defrost heater.

Both those components might only come assembled into the freezer wiring harness # W11224411 but I can't find an actual photo of it to see.

Dan O.