• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

R-3A54 Sharp Microwave - Replaced fuse. Worked for a moment then new fuse blew.

Bilbo2001

Model Number
R-3A54
Brand
Sharp
Sharp Carousel II microwave experienced a brownout. I confirmed the fuse was blown and replaced it (15A 250V ceramic). I was able to power on the unit and clear the display. I set it to cook for 5 seconds. It turned on briefly then went dark again. I confirmed that the new fuse is blown. Is it worth further repair? What else may be at fault?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Disconnect the two wires on the primary side of the transformer. Tape the ends off if necessary. Run the microwave on high for several minutes with a cup of water inside. If the fuse still blows check the interlock switches. If the fuse doesn't blow with the high side disconnected (no power) the problem is one of the high side components (transformer, mag tube, capacitor or diode).